Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good, Bad, and Ugly Quilting Tools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-bad-ugly-quilting-tools-t12262.html)

Missi 10-15-2008 09:36 AM

I have a 12.5 inch square Olfa ruler that I love. I use it for just about everything after I cut my long strip. I have used it so much that it appears that the top three inches are no longer straight. I can't believe I wore it down but have noticed my squares are off. So now I use the top edge and read numbers sideways :) Has anyone else had this happen?

bearisgray 10-15-2008 10:33 AM

Yes, I think I wore a curve into one of my rulers, also. I couldn't figure out how come when I moved the ruler, the fabric didn't follow the measurement line and had this bow in it.

DUH.

So if your ruler has been a well used tool, it might be a good idea to stand it on edge and see if there is an arc on the cutting edge.

Skeat 10-15-2008 11:02 AM

I have many notions myself and love them all and find all of them helpful in each way. I like my big ruler that has an edge on it to hold on to the edge of my cutting mat so I can stack my yardage and cut straight long strips even. That has been a life saver and a time saver for me. Also, love those little sticky pieces of sandpaper that hold your ruler from sliding. I guess I put too much muscle in my cutting for if I didn't have those on some of my rulers I'd only cut about 3/4 of the fabric straight:))I'd say the biggest waste of money is the chennile (sp?)cutter...the one that slides under the layers to cut for you. Since I was going to use it on a rug that never worked out...it still sits in it's plastic:))Maybe one of these days:))Skeat

pocoellie 10-15-2008 11:30 AM

I totally agree wth you, 2wheelwoman. I bought a couple packages of the binding clips, tried using them a couple of times, I'll just pin my binding. To me, it's easier.

bearisgray 10-15-2008 11:34 AM

I kind of like the clips - but you are right - as hair clippies they cost a lot less.

The only thing that I think will be constant is that different folks like different things.

gcathie 10-15-2008 11:53 AM

I have a lot of Creative Grids I just love....love love love my Olfa rotary cutter 60mm that you open when you grip it....love the chaulk markers with the wheels....love my cutting table and mat from Joanne Fabrics....Love my White style-maker sewing machine I bought as a reconditioned machine so the price was right...

waste of money....chennel mat and cutter....disc sharpeners.....I paid good money for these things and they don't work like I had hoped they would...

babeegirl 10-15-2008 12:56 PM

My best tool for marking dark fabrics is the sliver of soap left that most people toss into the trash and used dryer sheets are great stabilizers.

Minda 10-15-2008 04:49 PM

gcathie, I agree with you about the Creative Grid rulers. A friend recommended them to me. I bought two and they are my favorite rulers now. They slide less than any other ruler I've tried (and I have a large selection). I intend to gradually replace my other rulers with Creative Grid. I also wouldn't be without my Tucker Trimmer rulers. I have the small and large sizes.

Does anyone use the revolving cutting mats? It took me a while to remember to use it, but it really saves time since you don't have to move your fabric. Instead, you just revolve the mat.

mary quite contrary 10-15-2008 05:21 PM

You all are much better than me. I don't know if it is my favorite but I sure do use it and that is my good old seam ripper.

CRH 10-15-2008 05:38 PM

I bought a bamboo tool to hold fabric near the presser foot,and I really like it, but then read a hint to buy the bamboo skewers (about $1 at the dollar stores for 50 of them) and they work great. (I cut them off so they're not so long.)

(gcathy) I too bought the rotary blade sharpener and didn't have any luck with it(