Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good Class Behavior by the Students (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-class-behavior-students-t292933.html)

bearisgray 11-29-2017 07:30 AM

Good Class Behavior by the Students

1) Show up a few minutes early and be "ready to go" at the appointed time.

2) Have all the supplies purchased ahead of time - and any prep done, if needed.

3) Let the instructor do most of the talking.

4) If one has comments, let them be the kind that the whole class can hear.

5) Try to be friendly to everyone - not just one's friends.

6) Only take up your share of the space.

7) Label your equipment - it someone borrows it - it's much easier to ask for it back if it has your name on it!

8) If the class is to learn how to use a particular book or pattern, special ruler or other tool - please have it!

marjben 11-29-2017 08:05 AM

Agreed bear! To some people these things are a given, to others, not so much.

Sewnoma 11-29-2017 08:28 AM

I'll add one more - don't wear really strong fragrance! I think a lot of older ladies can't smell how strong their perfume is - I've attended classes that made me feel like I was going to be ill from all the fragrance in the room, and I'm not normally that sensitive to it. It's really hard to focus on the teacher when you feel like you're having trouble breathing!

bearisgray 11-29-2017 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 7952747)
I'll add one more - don't wear really strong fragrance! I think a lot of older ladies can't smell how strong their perfume is - I've attended classes that made me feel like I was going to be ill from all the fragrance in the room, and I'm not normally that sensitive to it. It's really hard to focus on the teacher when you feel like you're having trouble breathing!

Good point - that can also include deoderants, lotions, shampoos, and hair spray.

A lot of people are sensitive to fragrances.

Our son uses fragranced laundry detergent - and I use a non-fragranced one - I prefer the non-fragranced one.
Of course, I did not get it on sale or with a coupon, but still - - - -

Mariposa 11-29-2017 09:01 AM

Another I'll add is: please don't come in smelling like an ashtray! Yuk!

Peckish 11-29-2017 09:05 AM

Pay attention, so you're not constantly asking your neighbors what the next step is.

Bring a machine you're familiar with, so you can spend your time learning the lessons and not learning your new machine.

Don't be an expert on what the teacher is teaching. You'll irritate the teacher AND the entire class.

LenaBeena 11-29-2017 09:13 AM

From my experience at quilt retreats.....do not brag about how incredibly rich you are and how horrible your cleaning lady is, and how you can't believe anyone actually cooks anymore, and how cheap other peoples fabric is compared to yours, and how you have your quilting done by the most costly store, and how you can't imagine women actually work for a living, and wonder why no one wants to have conversations with you! :)

marand 11-29-2017 10:02 AM

Respect each other's space! Some classes are cramped. Figure out a way that your tools, fabric and machine will not impede someone else at your table!

Onebyone 11-29-2017 10:12 AM

Don't talk on your phone! Go far far away from the classroom, not the back of the room or outside the door to answer or talk on the phone. It is rude and disgusting to answer with a loud Hello on your way out too.

cashs_mom 11-29-2017 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 7952823)
Don't talk on your phone! Go far far away from the classroom, not the back of the room or outside the door to answer or talk on the phone. It is rude and disgusting to answer with a loud Hello on your way out too.

I second this one! I was at a Sulky presentation and a woman in the first row got a phone call and proceeded to loudly talk on her phone in the middle of the presentation. The teacher finally just stopped and stood there and looked at her. I couldn't believe it.