Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is this a good deal? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-deal-t231108.html)

liont 09-25-2013 06:57 PM

Is this a good deal?

Hi, I chanced upon this (used) setup for sale :
Pfaff Grand Quilter Hobby 1200 with Next Generation Quilting Frame.

I have no idea how old the setup is. The owner is asking $1000.

I have been quilting on a domestic machine with a 6 inch throat, so anything bigger is an upgrade for me.

What do you think? Thanks!

DOTTYMO 09-25-2013 08:43 PM

I would look further into the machine. It's age and also could you have a look at the set up and have a go. You need to bond with the machine and set up especially when looking at this price.

luvstoquilt301 09-26-2013 05:03 AM

It is a good price. My friend spent about 1,500 for hers. You have a VERY small quilting area before rolling BUT you will never have to baste a quilt again before quilting. She really likes hers.

mighty 09-26-2013 06:27 AM

It is a fair price. Not much quiling space.

lunagrandquilter 09-26-2013 11:29 AM

It is a good set up for a starter. As said you will have a smaller area to quilt with. I started with this set up and used it to quilt about 20 quilts before moving up to an 18" machine and different frame. That frame will accomodate up to about a 15-16" machine on it if you wanted to move up - as in a Bailey for an example. This is what my cousin did when she bought the frame frome me, and she loves it.
I kept the Grand quilter as I use that machine for free motion quilting my smaller pieces. It is a great machine and will quilt through most anything ( well maybe not a swather canvas!!) but you get the idea. Couldn't pry that machine out of my fingers if you tried.
If you get it, I do still have the stitch regulator for that machine and frame if you're interested. Never did get around to listing it anywhere.
There is a yahoo group for that machine and frame also which is a great help. The 9" Mega quilter is basicaly the same machine also, so info on it aplies to the GQ. Oh, also Finishing Touches has a really nice free motion foot for it too, much better than the one that came with the machine.
If you want any more info let me know.

liont 09-30-2013 09:07 AM

Thank you so much for all the replies. I'm deciding between a brand new Gracie frame with Juki for $1600-$1800ish or this used setup of Pfaff Hobby 1200 and Next Generation frame at $1000. Of course, I understand that used machines do have (potential unknown) problems. What would you choose?

delma_paulk 09-30-2013 10:19 AM

That is a good price to me. I have this one and its a workhorse!

delma

Holice 09-30-2013 11:15 AM

I think you need more information about it and how you might use it. You know, the kind of info you might need for buying any household appliance.

sandybeach 09-30-2013 12:21 PM

I have that same machine on an Inspira frame. I have been using it for two or three years and love it for what it does. Granted, I don't even attempt anything larger than a large lap quilt. I do take it 90 miles to a repairman about once a year to have it adjusted and cleaned. I was told that this machine does not like variegated thread. And I would love to have a larger throat area. But for now, it does what it needs to and I love it. I paid $1500 for mine. It also has a tray over the machine that holds my pantographs (which is the only way I quilt).