Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good News, Bad News (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-news-bad-news-t63277.html)

Lady Shivesa 09-05-2010 06:59 PM

The Good News: I just finished my first attempt at applique and am very pleased with it (not going to get into how messed up it is though). :)

The Bad News: I just broke my second needle this week, which also happened to be my last. No more quilting for me until I make it to the store! :(

Sadiemae 09-05-2010 07:02 PM

Congratulations on your spplique. Sorry you broke the needle and have to go to the store for more. It will be so hard to go shopping. ha ha

gale 09-05-2010 07:02 PM

Congrats on the applique! Is it machine or hand? I only do fusible web applique where you blanket stitch the outer edge by machine.

Bummer about the needle. I can't get the needles I like locally so I tend to order a bunch so I'll never run out (hopefully).

debbieumphress 09-05-2010 07:04 PM

Got to keep extra needles just for this. I have a "baby" tool box just for needles to sew with and for my machines. Sorry. It's a bummer I know. Glad you finsihed the quilt. Hope you post pictures. Happy quilting.

Lady Shivesa 09-05-2010 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by gale
Congrats on the applique! Is it machine or hand? I only do fusible web applique where you blanket stitch the outer edge by machine.

Bummer about the needle. I can't get the needles I like locally so I tend to order a bunch so I'll never run out (hopefully).

I did it with the machine - used that heat n' bond stuff and then satin stitched around the edges. It was kinda hard to get used to (especially the corners and stuff), but I found it rather enjoyable. A nice change of pace for sure.

As far as broken needles go, I suppose it comes with the territory. :D

dkabasketlady 09-05-2010 07:07 PM

Glad you finished your first attempt at applique, but sorry about breaking your LAST needle!! I start to panic when I get low and go on a shopping trip to get stocked up again!! Hopefully you won't be out for very long!

sandpat 09-05-2010 07:09 PM

Congrats of trying something new! I hate to break needles...I usually buy quite a few packages at a time from jHittle (they are cheaper there) Sometimes though its like I have a curse or something though!

abonda 09-05-2010 07:09 PM

applique is addicting be careful!!lol

Sadiemae 09-05-2010 07:10 PM

I get my needles at Hancock Fabrics when 1/2 price.

BABAREEBA 09-05-2010 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by gale

Gale, I am just going to do my 1st fusible applique that I am going to use the machine doing the blanket stitch instead of by hand. What size needle do you recommend? Any advice or tips that you have for machine applique?