Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Good Old Days - Remembering Old Fabric Shops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-old-days-remembering-old-fabric-shops-t133050.html)

luce321 06-26-2011 11:40 AM

I remember those meters too. I thought they were unique and wonder why they are not used today. I've been sewing since I was about twelve and I think we got our fabric at a dry goods store in the neighborhood. Later on it was JC Penney and Krauss. Thanks for the memories, that was a good time in my life.

Incidentally, I was going through my mother's sewing machine accessories looking for a brush to clean my machine, could not find mine, and came upon some spools of thread that she had. The large spool was marked 29 cents and the small one 15 cents, those were the good old days.

Mickie612 06-26-2011 12:35 PM

I remember ordering fabric from Sears. Also buying from Rich's here in Atlanta. Those meters bring back lots of memories.

patimint 06-26-2011 01:13 PM

I remember those meters. I thought they were so cool. My mom bought most of her fabric and JC Pennys. We didn't have a woolworth but did have Kings dime store and they sold some fabric and lots of craft items.

Quilterfay 06-26-2011 01:25 PM

In Canada we bought fabric at Eatons, Army and Navy and that is all I can remember. Not sure if Sears had fabric or not.

Quilterfay

GG 06-26-2011 01:33 PM

I worked for K mart and sold fabric and would think these ladies are nuts buying and cutting fabric in small piece's.I did use the meter's at first but I had forgotten about them and cotton was 36 inches wide and then I meet friends who got me quilting.

jljack 06-26-2011 01:38 PM

I well remember those meters. We lived in Burbank, CA when I was very young, and I remember going to the JC Penney with my mother and she would buy fabric to make us dresses. I do remember that meter, and how the clerk would wiggle the fabric back and forth to get the meter to the exact mark, then press the lever to get the little slit. Then out she would whip it, and grasping both sides, rip it off!! I remember we didn't buy very much at a time because we didn't have much money. But I used to love putting on those dresses as soon as Mom was finished sewng them. Very exciting!! Thanks for that great memory!

javin22 06-26-2011 01:43 PM

yes, I remember. they quit using them about 1978 in my area. I remember my Mom buying fabric in penneys and woolworths.

Marilynsue 06-26-2011 02:37 PM

Remember it well.....watched many pieces of fabric run through one of those! Love the memories. ♥

LivelyLady 06-26-2011 02:43 PM

I didn't remember the meter until I saw the pic! OMG! I also remember the tubes in the stores too. Woolworth was the store where I bought my first fabric and from there it was the Mill End, a factory outlet, and forward to Ames and Mammoth Mart discount stores....that sure was many wrinkles ago :D

cjr5107 06-26-2011 03:03 PM

OH MY! My Grandmother used to work at a Woolworth store in Calif. She worked in the fabric section. I have not seen a fabric meter (actually forgot about them until now). Thanks for taking me to that happy place in my life. :thumbup: :lol: