Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good Price for a Featherweight? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-price-featherweight-t110202.html)

Krystyna 03-24-2011 03:27 AM

I received an email last night from one of the local estate sale professionals and noticed a featherweight listed for sale. I asked whether it was working and the asking price. Is $250 a good price? She said it is working and the sale is full of quilting stuff. It's quite a distance to the sale, but maybe worthwhile.

Shelbie 03-24-2011 03:34 AM

$250 is a reasonable price. In my area of Southern Ontario, I have noticed that the prices for featherweights have come down from their high of about $500. I am now seeing most listed for $300 and those listed higher don't seem to be selling quickly. Our local gently used store has a good one for $325 and a quilter in our guild is selling one for $225. Sometimes there are better deals out there but you have to look. I just bought one on Kijiji in my daughter's college town for $125 and pick it up tomorrow.

LaurieE 03-24-2011 03:58 AM

$250 is about right. At least that's what I paid for mine.

Krystyna 03-24-2011 04:06 AM

Hmmm. Maybe I'll see if I can bundle some stuff together to bring the price down a little. Another tactic is to go late in the day when the prices come down a lot - at the risk of missing the chance to buy it. I guess I'll see what the weather is on Saturday and decide them.

hobbykat1955 03-24-2011 05:04 AM

Abt the price they are going for on ebay...If it works grab it

Krystyna 03-24-2011 05:07 AM

I think I'll talk to my husband about it. Funny thing - he was talking about looking for one so HE could start sewing!

CarrieAnne 03-24-2011 05:12 AM

Sounds like a great price!

Wine Woman 03-24-2011 05:13 AM

You should be there when they open and go right to the Featherweight and claim it! They tend to move real fast at sales like these. This is how I got one of mine. I walked right in and asked at the check out area where the Featherweight was (that's where they usually have them) and asked if I could plug it in and check it out. In the mean time as I was checking it out others were interested. But of course I took it and then shopped the Estate sale. Hope you get it and it's a beauty!

Krystyna 03-24-2011 05:24 AM

OK. I'm convinced. I guess I'll just have to plan on getting up at 4:00 am to be the first one in the door!

Wine Woman, love your pup. What is s/he? Looks sort of like my massive pugle.

nanna-up-north 03-24-2011 05:26 AM

I'm with Wine Woman.... you'd better get there super early and grab it right away. I love going to those sales but you have to know what you want and get it or you'll miss out. There are lots of people that know what a featherweight is and will snatch it up in a hurry.

I have found 2 2-drawer Coats and Clark spool cabinets this winter at sales like this but if I hadn't picked them up and taken them to the counter right away, I wouldn't be enjoying them in my sewing area today.

Go for it!! If I were there, I'd be grabbing it up for that price.