Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good Quilting Day! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-quilting-day-t9447.html)

SuzyM 07-25-2008 07:04 AM

I have a Roxanne thimble too!!! I absolutely love my - I want another one but they are pretty pricey.

Congrats on your class!!

I also took a hand quilting class and I had the best teacher, I loved it.

I also took an needle turn applique class and learned all kinds of neat tricks.

bj 07-25-2008 07:20 AM

I'd love to take a class. There are lots of things I try that I keep thinking there has to be an easier way :) :) Our quilt shop here is offering a class on Monday nites. I have a hard time committing to things because I have my grandson pretty often, and I'd way rather play granny. :) :-)

mrs theo 07-25-2008 08:47 AM

I took my first quilting class this spring. A new quilt shop opened in our little town and I wandered in there one day just to see what they had. I'd been thinking about learning how to quilt for awhile, but was afraid of sewing. When I was taking sewing class in 7th or 8th grade (in the early 70's) we were making really short dresses. This was exciting to me as my grandma was an excellent seamstress, quilter, cook...you name it! We got to go shopping for the pattern and fabric and it was a wonderful field trip. The day I cut the fabric after painstakingly pinning, I cut the fabric on the line that you're supposed to use if you need to short the garment (a fold line) :oops: . My Home Ec teacher so thoroughly humiliated me in front of the class that I haven't sewn more than a button since. I related this story to the store owner and she was very encouraging. The first night of class she overheard me telling one of the other studenty of my horror story and she came up behind me, rubbed my shoulders for a few seconds, and said, "Let it go, Barb" :D I did and I'm having a great time learning :!: :!: :!:

CissyQuilts 07-25-2008 10:29 AM

I have only taken one class...paper piecing. It was alot of fun. I enjoyed being with women who had so much in common with me. I should probably join the local guild.

MiawMC 07-29-2008 10:02 AM

The classes are so small where I go that the instructor has plenty of time to help each of us on our own individual level. I think the largest class I've seen has been 8 students and they are between 3 and 8 hours long.
My next one is Cotton Theory on 08/23. I'm really looking forward to it.

Still looking for a group to meet up with as well...or maybe in lieu of eventually :)

RUTH CLARKE 07-29-2008 10:21 AM

I did a beginners course after I made my first quilt and realised that I needed to learn about points (they were all cut off - forgot about the seam allowance). I had been taught to sew by my gran - she sewed for her living - did the samples for Jaeger and Aquasum in the UK. Tough act to follow! The course was great and really hooked me - did find that some of the others were a little slower so I did 2 quilts (sampler type) when some of the others did one.

Since then I have done lots of courses - always learn something new and meet some really super people as well. The chat and gossip that goes with the quilting is an added bonus.

I also belong to a guild and find that a great source of information/help and friendship.

To be honest I haven't had a bad experience with any dealings with quilting people - certainly not come across the quilting police!

Elizabeth A. 07-29-2008 05:21 PM

If your interested in starting your own guild I would say go for it. Even if it's only an hour or two one day a week with those people who are also interested, you could just meet up and work on your projects, laid back until you find the time or encounter a proper leader.

You might also try to contact the guild that you said was the closest one. They might be willing to take your "little group" on as the Deer Park sub-spin-off group, or give you some information about forming your own. You also might check with your LQS because they will know the who's what's and whyfor's of other quilters in your area, and there might already be a group of ladies meeting at lets say the community center (normally run my the Parks Department of all things)

judee0624 07-29-2008 05:32 PM

:D OK, here goes. I hadn't sewed for several years and had this 20+ year old Singer that weighed a ton. I saw a class listed at the quilt shop I had just discovered. It was for a Table Runner. I thought: How hard can that be? So I signed up and they handed me a small bag with fabrics for the class and said the pattern would be given out in class. OK, so I go to the class with my machine and thread and scissors. Nothing else. The poor teacher had to show me how to use a rotary cutter and everything. She was so patient and kind. I don't think she has ever taught there again. :-) Anyway, I learned all the basics from her, including chain piecing and the sandwich method of making triangles. I did finish one block to her satisfaction while I was there. I really liked the fabrics too. So that's how I got hooked. DH took me to JoAnn shortly after and we bought the cutting supplies and stuff I needed. He has supported this obsession ever since, dear man. Also, now that shop designates the level needed for each class. I also ask detailed questions before the class. It is my favorite shop and I have since taken a few more classes, including Beginning Quilting.
judee

JCL in FL 07-29-2008 08:53 PM

I've taken several classes but the one I remember the most is one for an Around the world quilt. It's a really easy quilt to make but you have no idea how it's going to look until you cut the long strips you've sewn together and arrange them. The teacher was giving the instructions and it all sounded like Greek. There was an older gal next to me (someone the age I am now) and she said, "Oh I am recovering from a stroke and I thought this would be some thing nice to do while I'm recuperating and I think I'm lost". I told her I hadn't had any stroke and I was surely lost. We all made great quilts and I ended up making three more of that pattern but to a newby the explanation just went right over my head. I think some of the beauty of classes is the companionship and sharing that more experienced quilters give to new ones. I haven't taken a class in many years but I'd like to some time.

gcathie 07-29-2008 08:54 PM

Yep I've had 3 classes so far....I truly love going ...my first was a beginer and I too was beyond that but still had fun and did pick up some pointers from the others...guess that is mainly what we do ...swap tips....

I too don't like commitments but pick on classes that are one day and cheap enough..... don't regret one bit my classes... My quilt shop needs to stay in business too... Plus they give me a 10% discount on anything in the store.... whenever I buy something... :D