Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good Use of Price Stickers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-use-price-stickers-t201200.html)

QandE2010 09-22-2012 08:18 AM

Good Use of Price Stickers

Here is a tip that I have been using forever and it works for me, so thought I'd pass it on.
How do you remember what size needle you have in your machine? I keep a supply of round price stickers (purchased from a local office supply store) on hand. When I put a new needle in the machine, I write the size and type of needle (embroidery, jeans, universal, quilting etc) and date on the sticker and put it on my machine. When I go to replace the needle (because I've used it for 12 hours or because I need a different size and type) I take it out and either dispose of it or put the sticker on the blunt end of the neeedle and place the needle in a special pin cushion I keep just for that purpose. You're Welcome.

Sewnoma 09-22-2012 08:26 AM

Wait...you're supposed to change a needle after just 12 hours of use!?

I know I tend to wait too long (often I only remember to change it when it starts to sound "poppy") but I didn't know there was a 12 hour guideline. I TRY to remember change mine between every other quilt, which is probably a lot more than 12 hours of sewing for me. Or I'll (carefully & VERY gently) run my fingertip over the end of the needle if I can't remember when I changed it...if it catches on my fingerprint I figure it's still sharp enough to use.

Scissor Queen 09-22-2012 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The needle manufacturers say you're supposed to change it every 8 hours. But that's actual sewing time. I know I don't change mine quite that often but I do change it pretty regular. Since I have several types and sizes of needles I bought a plastic organizer thing that's just the right size to hold the needle packages. I think it's supposed to be for beads. Anyway, I put a button in the space that I take the needle out of. If I use a needle but it's still good I put it back in loose and that way I know it's still good but not brand new. The different color buttons in the box are for different machines.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364617[/ATTACH]

Sewnoma 09-22-2012 08:38 AM

Looks like I need to get a lot more diligent about changing my needles!

Nanaquilts44 09-22-2012 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5532812)
The needle manufacturers say you're supposed to change it every 8 hours. But that's actual sewing time. I know I don't change mine quite that often but I do change it pretty regular. Since I have several types and sizes of needles I bought a plastic organizer thing that's just the right size to hold the needle packages. I think it's supposed to be for beads. Anyway, I put a button in the space that I take the needle out of. If I use a needle but it's still good I put it back in loose and that way I know it's still good but not brand new. The different color buttons in the box are for different machines.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]364617[/ATTACH]

Wow, Scissor Queen. I love your system of keeping track of needles. And using the button is a great idea!

Joset 09-22-2012 09:00 AM

I am also one that changes about every other quilt. unless one of them
requires a lot more sewing.

Jan in VA 09-22-2012 09:05 AM

Yeah, I change more often than I used to, also, although I was always pretty good about it. To me, needles are the cheapest/most disposable tools we use and they can make the most difference.
I also remove the throat plate and bobbin assembly and clean out the 'dust bunnies' with a pastry brush each time I change the bobbin.

Jan in VA

QuiltnNan 09-22-2012 10:17 AM

thanks for the hint

Sewnoma 09-22-2012 10:22 AM

My dealer shamed me into being much more diligent about cleaning out my bobbin assembly. They threatened to take my new machine back if I did as poor a job with it as I did with my first machine!! (They were kidding....mostly.) I don't clean it with every bobbin change though, I clean it probably once in the middle of a quilt and then again when I'm done - maybe once more somewhere in there if I'm using linty thread and/or flannel. I don't think I EVER properly cleaned out my first machine though, so that's a HUGE improvement! I thought occasionally blowing on the bobbin case was enough, LOL. And I shudder to think how old & dull the needle in that machine got. I plead youth & ignorance!

Although, my first machine does still work perfectly! It's a simple Kenmore/Janome from the mid 90's and built like a tank. I expect it'll outlive me, especially now that it's a backup. And that's with me sewing all kinds of crazy craft projects on it, some so thick I had to crank the wheel manually to punch through everything. What a great & forgiving machine...I'll never get rid of it!

This thread made me go change my needle in my main machine a moment ago, too. LOL

Neesie 09-22-2012 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5532812)
The needle manufacturers say you're supposed to change it every 8 hours. But that's actual sewing time. ....

Well, of course they're gonna tell you to change the needle often; their business is selling you needles!!! :D

I change my needle, when it needs changing.