Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Goodbye basting spray, hello... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/goodbye-basting-spray-hello-t319395.html)

quiltsfor 10-23-2022 05:18 PM

Goodbye basting spray, hello...

I've finally reached the point that I'm down to a couple of small cans of the stash of the basting spray that I had. Definitely not enough for the quilt I am working on now. So, I I thought I'd go online and order another few cases as I usually do. Well, I think not. It took my breath away to see the price they were since the last time I purchased them, close to double a can, and I thought it was expensive even back then.

So, after doing some searches online for other brands, and finding them expensive as well, I think I may be going old school - back to pinning my quilt sandwiches together.

But, I had one spit thought and since I use a glue stick (Elmer's School Glue) for applique, I'm wondering if I could just use it as sparingly to hold the sandwich together, like where I would normally put pins. Is this a good idea or not? Hopefully this type won't leave marks/stains on the fabric. (it doesn't for the applique) but my applique usually isn't light colored fabric. I do DMQ with quilting rulers, so I would have to remove the pins before quilting each section. Using the stick glue would be easier if it would work to keep my sandwich together.

I could use some advice and ideas from the collective minds on a good direction to go.

misseva 10-23-2022 05:34 PM

Goodby to basting spray

Google "how to baste a quilt with Elmers' Washable School Glue" it is an excellent substitute for spray basting.

quiltsfor 10-23-2022 05:59 PM

I had done a search, but only found it for the liquid glue. I just did another search and found on a quilting site that the glue stick works just as well and is easier/less messy to use.

Tartan 10-23-2022 07:11 PM

If you are using a fairly stable batt that you could rub the glue stick on, it should be okay. I think a small lap quilt would be doable but a large quilt would use a lot of washable glue sticks.

marybs 10-24-2022 02:09 AM

Another option

I have tried the make your own basting spray. It is easy to make, but a bit harder to work with than the spray you buy, but it is much less expensive. I am fortunate that I have a large floor area that I was able to spread out and do this, especially as the make your own took longer to dry. I always wash my quilts after I finish making them which also made this method okay for me.
Here is a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVRrFGFXXfc

BonnieJP 10-24-2022 03:54 AM

I tried glue sticks too, but the best way I've found to "baste" a quilt sandwich is to use Elmer's Washable School glue and a carpenter's roller bottle. I've done over 200 quilts using this method and have NEVER had even one pucker. The method is easy, doesn't smell or cause overspray, and avoids any harmful chemicals. Here's my method:

1. Fold the quilt top or roll it on a pool noodle (right side up). This will make it easier to put the top on the batting later.

2. Fill a carpenter’s glue roller bottle with undiluted Elmer's Washable School Glue. Do not dilute the glue because you want it come out of the bottle slowly.

3. Starting at one end, gently squeeze the glue bottle to feed a small amount onto the batting in an X pattern, making sure there are no glue globs that would make the quilt stiff. Aim for a thin line of glue, not a wide strip, about the width of a line drawn with a fine tip marker. If it looks like there's more glue than I want on the batting, I stop squeezing the bottle and just use the roller to "spread" it.

4. I usually apply the glue in a 10” -12” high row across the batting, then begin unrolling the quilt top onto the glued batting a “row” at a time.

5. Remove any wrinkles as you go by smoothing the glued top from the center to the edges with your hands, similar to the way you’d smooth wallpaper on a wall.

6. After the glued top has dried a few hours, flip the sandwich and glue the backing to the batting following steps 1 through 5 above.

7. Let the glued backing dry overnight.

I wash the roller thoroughly with warm water immediately after using it to glue. The roller can be easily popped out and I just rub it down with my fingers under warm water to remove the glue and any accumulated fuzz/threads. The roller is a made from a hard rubber. As long as you clean the glue after every use, the bottle and roller should last for years. There really is nothing to wear out and it only costs $10. There's even a little "red plug" to seal the bottle between uses, so I don't have to empty the glue each time.

This is the easiest way I have found to glue baste my quilts. The glue is cheap at $10-$12 per gallon and will glue numerous quilts. Quick and easy to do, no chemical smell or overspray, and no puckers in the finished quilt. Hope these tips help.

Here's the link to the glue bottle I use:

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-8-oz...th-glue-roller

Onebyone 10-24-2022 05:06 AM

I bought the roller bottle when BonnieJP first posted about it. I love it. It's the only way I baste now. I buy Elmer's School glue by the gallon at Walmart. I glue every inch of the quilt so when the glue dries the quilt may look puckery but that is because the glue shrinks when drying. I press the quilt and it's flat and smooth and stays that way until I get ready to quilt it. No need to glue as much as I do but my quilt sandwich is flat as paper and doesn't shift at all. I have used the basting spray recipe in the link above and it works fine. I find a glue stick is messy for large surface basting.

Snooze2978 10-24-2022 05:52 AM

I wonder if you could delute Elmer's Glue and put it into a spray bottle and use that. I use Elmer's GLue when I go to attach my binding to the borders before I stitch them down and that's without deluting. It washes out either way and might give you just enough holding power.

Patricia Drew 10-24-2022 06:31 AM

I was wondering about that too! I hope someone who has tried it writes in.

WMUTeach 10-24-2022 06:36 AM

I am still a basting spray person. I watch for JoAnn's 50% or 60% off coupons and use them for basting spray. It is iSew N Bond spray in the purple and white can. In my store, it is not in the quilting area but near the needles, irons and so on. The red and white can is for applique and other projects. The purple and white can is clearly labeled for use with sewing machines.