Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Got a fw today (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/got-fw-today-t173892.html)

patimint 12-31-2011 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by patimint (Post 4828452)
No need to whisper, if you don't ask, you won't know. It is a feather weight singe sewing machine. so way cool. They are adorable and work great. Take a look in the antique machine site on this forum and you should find lots of pictures of them.

That is singer sewing machine, not singe. I have a bad habit of leaving off the endings of words. sorry about that.

Drue 12-31-2011 03:44 PM

Congrats to you! I have an FW that I learned to sew on it and it was my moms. My dad bought it for her in 1940 for Christmas from a hardwear store in Alexandria , LA for their 2nd Christmas together. Unfortunately, a number of years ago, it sort of wore out and dad had some guy put a new motor and foot pedal on it...they are no the "original" equiptment and I just hate it. I wnat to have it "restored", but don't know if I can can afford it now that we're retired. It just breaks my heart. I know my dad thought he was doing the right/best thing, but geeeeeezzzzzz!

Anyway, maybe someday I can do this and then go back to using this machine that I grew up with.

JaneH 12-31-2011 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by patimint (Post 4828454)
That is singer sewing machine, not singe. I have a bad habit of leaving off the endings of words. sorry about that.

Thanks.... one of these days I'll get the jargon down firmly! Is "Feather Weight" the proper model name or does it just mean a lightweight model?

Charlee 12-31-2011 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by JaneH (Post 4828555)
Thanks.... one of these days I'll get the jargon down firmly! Is "Feather Weight" the proper model name or does it just mean a lightweight model?

Featherweight is the model name of the machine. There are two different Featherweights...one is vintage, production of them was stopped in the 60's, I believe. Really a popular machine with quilters and folks that take a lot of classes or sew in groups where they need to take their own machine...they weigh in at 11.2 lbs. There's a new featherweight Singer out there...some love it, most don't.

Charlee 12-31-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by chichimamma (Post 4827876)
I have wanted a FW for years, I always looked around here and other states, trying to get a real bargain. Well I hadn't even seen one, until today I saw 2 at the Ky. State fairgrounds flea market. My husband ask one antique dealer if he had one said he had 2 at home, one had a case, he would bring it the next day, I couldn't wait. Well the one with the case is home with me today!!!!! It is complete-all tools and book and original tube of oil in its own box for 250.00, the other complete one was 395.00 and the other machine I saw had nothing with it and some problems for 250.00. I am living Christmas again!!!!!

Congrats!! That flea market is where I got my toy poodle when we were trucking! Great place! :)

valleyquiltermo 12-31-2011 04:18 PM

Thats wonderful for you now where is the picture of it, you know we all want pics. LOL Congrats

sweet 12-31-2011 04:18 PM

Yea! Another FW saved! Congrats!!!!!!!

momto5 12-31-2011 04:33 PM

Congratulations! You'll enjoy her...:)

Caroline S 12-31-2011 06:50 PM

Congrats on your new additions. Be sure to post pics in the Vintage Machines section of the QB. We all want to ooh and aah over yuor new girls.

Sandra in Minnesota 01-01-2012 01:35 PM

Doing the happy dance for you. Now you have to get a name for her.