Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Got a kit. . . Where do you start? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/got-kit-where-do-you-start-t166828.html)

Rosa 11-07-2011 09:01 AM

Got a kit. . . Where do you start?

Hello!

Okay, I bought this really cute kit from Fat Quarter Shop. It's the Buttons & Bloom and features Red Rooster fabrics.

I'm new to quilting. I've done some but never a bed sized quilt and never one this expensive.

It came in a box. It came in these nice plastic pouches and I got a book with instructions. Now what? I have looked at all the pretty fabrics and have decided maybe I have bitten off to much this soon? I'm just so afraid I'll do something (cut) and it be wrong! Do they give a little extra fabric just in case I mess up?

So, when you start a kit what are the steps you take from the minute it arrives and you have inspected it? :confused:

kittenquilts 11-07-2011 09:04 AM

It's always good to check the pattern and verify that all ingredients that should be with the kit are actually there! When you are ready to start your quilt, read over directions and make sure you understand them all.

Holice 11-07-2011 09:09 AM

read instructions several times and highight important part and then lay out the templates or mark the cutting instuctions to make sure you have sufficient fabri and know which to cut.

Tartan 11-07-2011 09:12 AM

Yep, first check to make sure you have all the fabric required. Read the instructions carefully to see if the sashing is to be cut first from the yardage, if it has sashing. Is it a sampler or a repeated block? If it's a repeated block, read the cutting instructions carefully and cut and sew your first block. If it works out well and measures what it is supposed to continue on. If it's a little small or big, that won't matter with a repeated block. If the blocks are all different they do have to measure the same for ease in assembly.
Remember if you goof up, it can become a couch throw instead of a bed quilt. We all started as beginners and had to learn by trial and error (lots of error in my case) Now there are wonderful resources for new quilters either on the net or here at QB. Have fun!

ckcowl 11-07-2011 09:17 AM

it helps to identify each fabric- which one it is-where it goes- use sticky notes to identify each one with the patterns---usually on the pattern it will list...fabric 1, fabric 2 ect---or A,B,C...identify each one- making sure you have each one called for- and the proper amount....that way when you are ready to start you will be cutting the correct fabric-
check out the cutting chart- and generally you cut in order as shown on the cutting chart- again use sticky notes (or baggies) to keep the pieces identified.

franc36 11-07-2011 09:24 AM

I, too, am new at quilting. I just got a kit and the first thing I did was read the instructions very carefully. The next thing I did, after checking that all the fabric was there, was to wash the fabric as some of the fabric was dark red. The dark red fabric did fade so I washed that again in vinegar and water. While the fabric was drying, I read the instructions a second time and highlighted important information. I used a light spray starch when I pressed the fabric. I am now ready to start cutting out the fabric. I will read the directions twice and measure twice before I make a cut. I will label the cut pieces (A, B, C, 1, 3, 3, etc.) I bought plastic zip lock bags and will put all the A fabric in one, etc. I will check off each step in the instructions as I complete it. As I said, I'm a novice. I have made only one quilt from a kit. I had some of each fabric left over. I would think that you would have some extra fabric. Best wishes with your quilt. You can do it and you'll be so proud of your work when you finish.

Jingle 11-07-2011 02:53 PM

Make a smaller quilt and let this wait until you feel more confident to work on it. Follow each step word for word, when you decide to start it. I have only mae 1 kit quilt and didn;t like it much. I have made about 93-95 quilts. Good luck.
Welcome from outside St. Louis.

JUNEC 11-07-2011 03:05 PM

That's a really cute quilt pattern

read it through several times

http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...20&Parent_Ids=

klarina 11-07-2011 03:13 PM

I bought a kit with 30s fabrics a few months ago. I'm almost done with the blocks. This is also my first kit. What it is intimidating for me is the finishing part. I need to put the sashing and cornerstones and then it will be ready for quilting.

wanda lou 11-07-2011 03:14 PM

very cute kit. take the plung!!!! if you mess up it will be a couch quilt.