Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Got my quilt done (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/got-my-quilt-done-t302509.html)

zozee 01-25-2019 06:26 AM

Good for you! Your friend will feel so loved. I really like the simplicity of this pattern and the color palette you chose.

lorimax5859 01-25-2019 06:54 AM

Very nicely done.

debstoehr 01-25-2019 07:11 AM

Great job on your quilt. I have a question for you and am not trying to be critical. It looks as if you only quilted the horizontal rows of the quilt and not inside each row. Is this correct? If so, I would be concerned that the batting will ball up and shift without some additional vertical quilting. I would hate for you to have to rip out and replace all of your batting. I had to do this for someone at church that had only done very minimal quilting.

feline fanatic 01-25-2019 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by debstoehr (Post 8199489)
Great job on your quilt. I have a question for you and am not trying to be critical. It looks as if you only quilted the horizontal rows of the quilt and not inside each row. Is this correct? If so, I would be concerned that the batting will ball up and shift without some additional vertical quilting. I would hate for you to have to rip out and replace all of your batting. I had to do this for someone at church that had only done very minimal quilting.

I agree. This definitely needs more quilting in order for the batting to hold together. If your batting requirements say minimum 10", (which I would always quilt more than that anyways) that means 10" minimum distance in all directions. The only time I ignore that is if I have a narrow inner border (like 1" or less) that spans the entire length. I have simply ditched both sides of the border and left it at that. But even in those cases I would probably opt for a fill of some sort.

Additionally, those long runs of unquilted area is going to put a lot of stress on the pieced seams and they are very prone to popping open. Especially when the quilt is washed and the weight of the top, batting and backing is pulling on them.

Friday1961 01-25-2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by debstoehr (Post 8199489)

I noticed this, too. If so, it needs some vertical quilting, as both deb and feline have said.

sJens 01-25-2019 03:43 PM

Looks great. Waiting to see the one you make for yourself now.

Jules51 01-25-2019 07:10 PM

Very nicely done!

Barb in Louisiana 01-25-2019 07:24 PM

Pretty Quilt. I concur with the others regarding adding more quilting. The quilting is to stabilize everything and keep it from coming apart. When I buy a bedspread or coverlet with only the quilting going one way, I throw it on my long arm and add some type of design in the unquilted area. I have had all the quilting shift and the coverlet be ruined the first time I washed it.

Sneed 01-26-2019 08:55 AM

Good job and such pretty fabrics.

Vanna 01-26-2019 09:40 AM

Hey everyone, I am going to do some more quilting on it, before I sead it off, I want it to last my friend for many years to come, so I want it done right, I do all my quilts with a walking foot