Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Grace GMQ Pro Frame - upgraded carriage - Janome 1600p (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grace-gmq-pro-frame-upgraded-carriage-janome-1600p-t194086.html)

jststampin 07-09-2012 09:46 AM

Grace GMQ Pro Frame - upgraded carriage - Janome 1600p

I just bought a used Grace GMQ Pro Frame with a Janome 1600P and the carriage seems to drag when I am trying to free motion quilt as well as used the wooden templates with the stylus. I've cleaned out actual rollers on the carriage and the tracks on the carriage and the frame. It seemed to get better but it still just doesn't glide very well.

I've seen online a carriage upgrade (Allbrands.com) and then another site (Grace) lists a professional carriage upgrade. Are these the same thing? Will this help with the dragging issue and not being smooth?

Thanks for your help.
Tammy

delma_paulk 07-09-2012 11:34 AM

I cannot answer your question, but need info about the same thing on my frame.
Wishing us both luck.
delma

babindg12200 07-09-2012 12:08 PM

I cannot answer your question, but I have a solution to your problem. Buy some Misty Silicone Spray, and spray the rollers and the tracks. It works great and doesn't make your material oily or anything. Try that first before buy any expensive stuff. Just thought I'd help.

BKrenning 07-09-2012 01:08 PM

It is also important that your frame is level and that the rails the carriage rides on are as smooth as glass. If your frame is on carpeting, you might have to put something under the feet to help keep it level. Hubby & I went round & round about my first frame when I told him that it wouldn't stay level on the carpeting. I had to prove him wrong but he finally believed me after watching how much it would wiggle after a day's quilting with the robotic quilter & after he leveled it the 3rd time. He kept accusing me of bumping it!

Some wheels seem to glide better than others and gunk can build up on your wheels. I wipe my rails and wheels down with silicone spray about once per month when I'm really in a quilting frenzy.

butterfly48 07-09-2012 02:18 PM

I have that same frame, is the plastic tracks in good shape? Mine get small nicks and dont run smooth like that.
I just replaced mlne ordered from grace for 18.00 dollars each. I had the wood carage and l did buy new carrage from allbrands.com
That new carriage did help the wobble. I dont know if the one at grace is the same one or not but the one i got was cheaper.
Please excuse my spelling.l have phaff machine on mine.

jststampin 07-20-2012 06:16 AM

Thank you all who responded. I ended up ordering a new upgraded carriage from www.kathyquilts.com and was pleased with their service. (Lynn from Kathy quilts was so helpful on the phone, I was definately recomment him and his wife for information or for upgrades to your Grace frame.) I was thinking my tracks needed to be replaced but they seem to be fine with the new carriage. Also, after I put the new carriage together I realized I think I can still mount the stylus from the old wooden carriage on the new one.

The carriage solved the dragging problem so I am a happy camper now. Now the learning curve begins. :) I was wondering if I had made a poor decision in buying a used quilting frame; but I am one happy camper now. Any ideas on what to do with the old wooden carriage??

1000projects 07-20-2012 07:32 AM

I am glad it is working for you now! smooth is good :-)