Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Grandma's quilt-top advise. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grandmas-quilt-top-advise-t148837.html)

Ghetohound 08-29-2011 01:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So, many of you know that I recently found a set of twin quilt-tops with my name on them from my grand mother. They need to be quilted and being new to quilting, I wanted to try a few things on my machine before I finish the one's she left me.

-The first pic is my grandmothers quilt top.
-The second pic is of a small zig zag stitching in the seam. I have read that "on" the seam is just as acceptable is stitching in the ditch?
-The third pic is my first experiment with FMQ...Not happening right now!

SO...opinions of the zigzag? I can handle this. I think it will do the job without taking away from the thousand triangles!

Grandma's work...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248666[/ATTACH]

My first try with a zigzag...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248667[/ATTACH]

First FMQ...I know its bad!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248668[/ATTACH]

GrannieAnnie 08-29-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ghetohound
So, many of you know that I recently found a set of twin quilt-tops with my name on them from my grand mother. They need to be quilted and being new to quilting, I wanted to try a few things on my machine before I finish the one's she left me.

-The second pic is of a small zig zag stitching in the seam. I have read that "on" the seam is just as acceptable is stitching in the ditch?

SO...opinions of the zigzag? I can handle this. I think it will do the job without taking away from the thousand triangles!

would you be opposed to tacking? The quilt pattern is one that would look good tacked!

Ghetohound 08-29-2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

would you be opposed to tacking? The quilt pattern is one that would look good tacked!

What is that? Can you explain with a picture???

Ghetohound 08-29-2011 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie

Found it on youtube!

hobo2000 08-29-2011 01:46 PM

Such a gem of a quilt. Your FMQ is perfectly acceptable. It will improve as you go and will wear very well. The zigzag is not bad but a quilt with this much work in it should have something a bit more. JMHO

LoriEl 08-29-2011 01:48 PM

Your FMQ looks fine to me!

Ghetohound 08-29-2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Such a gem of a quilt. Your FMQ is perfectly acceptable. It will improve as you go and will wear very well. The zigzag is not bad but a quilt with this much work in it should have something a bit more. JMHO

I agree with you. Would love to honor her by FMQ. I know it takes time, but i'm itching to do it. Maybe I should just slow my roll a bit and do some more quilts. It has been waiting for me for 30+ years, 1 more won't hurt right?

Ghetohound 08-29-2011 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
Your FMQ looks fine to me!

Thanks...! I tried!

dunster 08-29-2011 01:53 PM

If I had a quilt top from my grandmother, I think I would hand quilt it. And I'm not a hand quilter. I have a longarm. I have never hand quilted a quilt. I took a hand quilting class and decided it was not for me. But - if I had a quilt top from my grandmother... that is still how I think I would do it.

Granny Quilter 08-29-2011 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
If I had a quilt top from my grandmother, I think I would hand quilt it. And I'm not a hand quilter. I have a longarm. I have never hand quilted a quilt. I took a hand quilting class and decided it was not for me. But - if I had a quilt top from my grandmother... that is still how I think I would do it.

Yes, that is how grandmother would have done it.