Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Grandmother's Fan Advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grandmothers-fan-advice-t321063.html)

Onebyone 07-05-2023 07:48 AM

Best tip I have is to use a Go. Many libraries have them now to use or check out. I have the Grandmother's Fan die for my Go. It finishes at 9". I had throw size quilt cut in just a few minutes. The units sewed together perfectly. If there is a die for the quilt I'm making I buy if the library doesn't have it.

quiltsfor 07-05-2023 09:02 AM

The Grandmother's Fan template from Martelli I believe finishes up as a 12" block according to their video.

JackieQuilts 07-05-2023 10:05 PM

I am making a throw size Grandmother's Fan using the Martelli templates. Super easy. Watched the You Tube video they have for hints when cutting out the pieces.

quiltsfor 07-06-2023 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by JackieQuilts (Post 8608025)
I am making a throw size Grandmother's Fan using the Martelli templates. Super easy. Watched the You Tube video they have for hints when cutting out the pieces.

And she also has great advice on sewing the curves on the video, as well. Especially when sewing the different pieces because you match them up and sew them differently to make it easier. There is a special pressure foot demo/ad in the middle from them that you can either watch or skip over, and the video resumes after it.

JackieQuilts 07-08-2023 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor (Post 8608028)
And she also has great advice on sewing the curves on the video, as well. Especially when sewing the different pieces because you match them up and sew them differently to make it easier. There is a special pressure foot demo/ad in the middle from them that you can either watch or skip over, and the video resumes after it.

Yes, the sewing demonstration was really helpful. This is probably the easiest quilt I've ever made and it looks way more time consuming than it is. Templates are totally worth the cost.

quiltsfor 07-08-2023 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by JackieQuilts (Post 8608224)
Yes, the sewing demonstration was really helpful. This is probably the easiest quilt I've ever made and it looks way more time consuming than it is. Templates are totally worth the cost.

I second it, that the Templates are totally worth the cost.

lindaschipper 07-08-2023 03:50 AM

I'll agree that the Martelli templates help to make an easy quilt block...just wish they also carried this template set in a small size also. Not everyone wants to make 12" blocks.

quiltsfor 07-08-2023 05:47 AM

Same here - I've been trying to find 10", 8" and 6" GF Templates, because I was also thinking of doing a quilt with different size fans scattered in it. But for now, I'll be doing the 12" blocks that finish to 11.5"

quiltsfor 07-08-2023 05:50 AM

I found one with the different sizes (10/8/6) on Amazon, called Crazy Fan Templates, but the third party has not so good ratings. So, definitely a no there for me. I don't want to chance it.

tranum 11-19-2023 05:15 AM

Quilt guild member showed her Grandmothers Fan that had rickrack sewed on both ends of wedges. Loved it.