Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Grandmother's Flower Garden (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grandmothers-flower-garden-t84815.html)

bjnicholson 12-23-2010 05:56 PM

I have a question regarding GFG piecing. I'm having a problem with the thread. If I using it single, the needle comes unthreaded. If I double it, the thread gets all trangled with loops and stuff. What kind of thread should I use and is there a particular kind of needle I should use?

Another question is do you glue the paper or pin or both?

lovequilts 12-23-2010 06:42 PM

I use Mettler or Gutterman thread (from Joann's). I use single thread. My templates are on cardstock and I fold over one edge and hold with a very small binder clip, till I get 3 or so turns basted. Hope this helps.

Cyn 12-23-2010 07:08 PM

I use gutterman's thread single and freezer paper templates and baste with old white thread.

amma 12-23-2010 07:40 PM

Try using beeswax for your thread. Also, thread the needle, then cut the thread, leave the tail of that end longer.
If you thread the needle with the other end, it will tangle and twist more :wink: It has to do with the way the thread is manufactured. :D:D:D

erstan947 12-23-2010 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Try using beeswax for your thread. Also, thread the needle, then cut the thread, leave the tail of that end longer.
If you thread the needle with the other end, it will tangle and twist more :wink: It has to do with the way the thread is manufactured. :D:D:D

Thanks for the tip. Learned something new tonight:)

bjnicholson 12-23-2010 07:53 PM

You know, I used to bead alot and that's what I did only I used Thread Heaven. I don't know why this would be any different. How soon we forget! I think I'll use the longer needles too. The short ones make my hands cramp up. Thanks for the reminder!!

bjnicholson 12-24-2010 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by amma

Duh...I should have thought of that myself! Did I say I used to make beadweaving jewelry? I have tons of Silimide thread and I also have Gutermans that I've used for Kumihiko braiding. Alright now, I'm off to dig into my bead stash. My crafts are all over the condo. Beads from my bedroom to the dining room and threads visa versa! My son better watch out or he may be sleeping on the patio!!!

Kherrin 12-24-2010 02:13 PM

You can also tie the thread to the needle eye and it will not come unthreaded, but you have to thread the needle often.

gypsyquilter 12-24-2010 02:18 PM

im doing a gfg with english paper piecing also. I am using a small dab of glue to hold it down, then baste. when it is time t put the shapes together, I am using a clover black gold needles (I LOVE these needles) and 60 wt thread plus "thread heaven" - similar to beeswax.

Would love to see photos as you make progress!

bjnicholson 12-25-2010 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by gypsyquilter
im doing a gfg with english paper piecing also. I am using a small dab of glue to hold it down, then baste. when it is time t put the shapes together, I am using a clover black gold needles (I LOVE these needles) and 60 wt thread plus "thread heaven" - similar to beeswax.

Would love to see photos as you make progress!

I'd love to see pics too! My camera's now in working order. I just have to figure out how to get it from there to here! There's a cord laying around here somewhere!

BTW ~ I have 16 hexies done!