Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Grandson whats to make a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grandson-whats-make-quilt-t148681.html)

stitchengramie 08-29-2011 02:15 AM

My 6 year old grandson whats me to teach him how to sew so he can make a quilt. I am afraid to let him use the sewing machine. Is there such a thing as a kids sewing machine? Is quilting also a boy thing?

Lacelady 08-29-2011 02:24 AM

IMHO, there is no reason a boy can't make a quilt, we have some great quilters here on this board who are men. As for his age, do you have a way of setting the speed on your machine so he can't put his foot down and zoom away?

I started my grands on a hand crank singer. I reasoned that they would at least have one hand out of the way!

You could possibly sit him on your lap and operate the pedal for him, while he guides the fabric through.

TanyaL 08-29-2011 02:58 AM

My 6 yr old DG made a quilt out of pre cut 6 inch squares that she selected. I bought her a small Janome that has about 4 different stitches but one speed and she sewed the wobbliest seems you ever saw. Instead of tying the quilt she sewed big buttons in the middle of each square. I would recommend making a smaller quilt. Hers was about 4' x 6'. If we were doing it over I would have the outside rows of her squares done in fleece, backed it in fleece, then cut the fleece and tied the edges. After the top was pieced she really just about lost interest, but I thought it was important for her to finish the project; I should have made the rest of the quilt more innovative and fun for a 6 yr old.

Maia B 08-29-2011 03:14 AM

My youngest son was 6 when he started sewing. My sons have a lower-priced Brother they share, but both have used my Berninas and can perceive the difference! Sewing being only a "girl thing" is IMO an outdated notion that was ridiculous to begin with. In other cultures, sewing is not though of as feminine only. And think of all the American male quilting "celebrities": Kaffe Fassett, John Flynn, Ricky Tims...Why put all our baggage on our kids, limiting their creativity and artistic and professional choices starting at only 6 years old?!

Glassquilt 08-29-2011 03:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Lacelady
As for his age, do you have a way of setting the speed on your machine so he can't put his foot down and zoom away?

You could put something (cardboard?) to reduce the downward motion.

Grama Chris 08-29-2011 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by stitchengramie
My 6 year old grandson whats me to teach him how to sew so he can make a quilt. I am afraid to let him use the sewing machine. Is there such a thing as a kids sewing machine? Is quilting also a boy thing?

I have 3 GK's that started when they were 6 & they LOVE it. They start on a piece of paper w/drawn lines, circles, sqs (to pivot) & sew under the mchn w/no thread. After that they draw their own patterns & lines, etc. this gets them used to sewing straight (kind of). We start an easy project like, pin cushion (for them-own colors), pot holders (just 3 pieces), pillow cases (tube style), beach bags. When they feel confident enough they design their own lounging quilt for whatever use & then onto a bed quilt. My 7 yr old (at that time) had 2 quilts in a quilt show. I also teach them the safety issues on ironing, L hand behind you, iron (steam) facing away, hope this helps you, they will have FUn, let them work at their own pace & as a Grama you'll be so PROUD, like me. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: OH, I forgot 2 are boys :lol: :lol: :lol:

blueangel 08-29-2011 04:25 AM

There is no reason a boy can't sew. Start on something simple.

KathyKat 08-29-2011 07:12 AM

Yes! Many boys like to make quilts and I think we should encourage them. My 12yr old GD just made a quilt top this last Sat and now MY 11yr old GS wants to make one too. My 3yr old GS was in the sewing room with us this weekend and he thinks he should sew too. I gave him one of my sewing baskets to re organize and he had fun with that. He also likes to pull out one of my scrap boxes and put pieces up on the design wall. Kids learn by imitation!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 08-29-2011 08:03 AM

There are plenty of male quilters on here who think quilting is a "boy thing". Don't gender type him. Let him try it. He will either like it or not and either way you will make memories of teaching him.

marscrafter 08-29-2011 09:50 AM

There are some really awesome male quilters out there, and men who design fabric as well. It's just another outlet for creativity. A lot of Montessori themed schools use sewing to teach hand eye coordination for kids. These are all skills that will help them later in life, being able to make functional items and repair them. :-)

My son who is 8 started sewing by hand about a year ago, then we moved him up to the sewing machine recently. What I did with my 6 year old daughter was she worked the foot pedal and I helped her steer the fabric so she wouldn't get hurt by the needle. You could have him hand sew some of the stuff, or just sit next to him and have him go really slow with the foot pedal. For his first quilt, he learned how to tie a quilt. The kids love to pick out their own fabric and design a simple quilt pattern. My son is entering his first quilt in the fair this year, he is really excited. Next he wants to learn carpentry from his dad. LOL

My fondest memories of my grandmother involve learning to sew, I think teaching them would be awesome for both of you.