Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Granny's vintage quilt, seeking advise (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grannys-vintage-quilt-seeking-advise-t222854.html)

nancysp 06-02-2013 06:41 PM

Granny's vintage quilt, seeking advise

3 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]416874[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]416875[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]416876[/ATTACH]

I have been given a quilt made by my Great Grandmother. My mother is 83 and her grandmother was born in 1878 and died in 1938. She lived in Southwestern Wisconsin. It is machine pieced (and the binding is even sewn on by machine) but the top is all hand quilted. It is only pink and white and some of the pink has faded. There are a few stains, but I see no tears in the quilt (except one place that was very nicely darned as repair). It is very thin and I know it was used as a bedspread.

I would like to display it. Maybe hang it up on the wall in my sewing room as inspiration. I cannot leave it on the bed (I have cats). If it sits in the closet, I get no enjoyment out of it but would look at it daily if it were on the wall. It is 72" square.

A few questions: There are a few stains - possibly rust or maybe something else. Is there anything you'd recommend to remove them? I have a front load gentle machine. There are no missing stitches in the hand quilting so I think it would be OK.

How would you recommend hanging it on the wall? (or is that a bad idea?)

Would anyone know the name of the pattern?

Some of the pink material has faded and there are a few stains. Otherwise, it's in wonderful condition. Should I have it appraised? I have no plans on parting with it, just want to know if anyone thinks it has anything other than sentimental value.

barny 06-02-2013 06:45 PM

I would wait for answers on here about the stains and hang it in my sewing room. You appreciate it more than anyone else will most likely. You are blessed to have it.

Nammie to 7 06-02-2013 06:45 PM

I would have it appraised - simply for you to get some information about your quilt. I have an old one that drapes across the couch in the family room, my grandfather helped piece it when he was a little boy. It isn't worth much money (about $400) but having it appraised confirmed the family history and gave me information I didn't have. If you want to hang it I would hang it folded over something rather than having the weight on just one side. You have a real treasure! I also don't know that I would do anything about the stains - they don't really seem noticeable to me.

Gannyrosie 06-03-2013 02:13 AM

For rust stains, lemon just and salt, rub on stain and put in sun, but due to age, protect the unstained portion from sun. The rust will just disappear.

quiltinghere 06-03-2013 03:10 AM

IF it were MINE, I would not wash the entire quilt. I would fluff it on air in the dryer just to dust it out. I would try to get it appraised ...just for confirmation I guess. Do you have pictures of the quilt with anyone that can help to date it?

I would not 'hang the quilt' but I would drape the quilt over a rod or cabinet so it can be 'refolded and turned' every so often.....keeping it out of any sun light or bright rooms.

I love it!
Nan

selm 06-03-2013 05:59 AM

If you do the lemon juice and salt idea from Gannyrosie you could try rubbing it in and then let it set for awhile without putting it in the sun. Oh, yes, and rinse after treating. Years ago I treated a stain on a blouse this way and it worked without putting it in the sun.

nancysp 06-03-2013 04:06 PM

I don't think there are any pictures. I think I will try to contact an appraiser that perhaps can help identify the pattern. Does anyone know how much this costs?

quiltyfeelings 06-03-2013 04:40 PM

Borax in the bathtub in warm, tepid water. DO NOT WRING. Lay flat on a blanket or quilt to dry.