Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   graphite pencils for marking quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/graphite-pencils-marking-quilt-t51738.html)

zenabe 06-28-2010 06:22 AM

Does anyone know if graphite pencils markings come off quilt when it is finished and washed. I am asking if it washes off. I needed to know before I mark the quilt. Thanks for your input.

feline fanatic 06-28-2010 06:29 AM

I have only marked a quilt once with a regular graphite (#2 lead) pencil. I starched the top heavily before marking because I had read that the lead will be on the starch and not get imbedded in the fabric. It worked out fine. The marks washed right out when I was done. The quilt was hand quilted and it took me several years to complete it (got put to the side untouched for a good 9 months). The marks remained visible that whole time. I used a stencil for the markings. It was a Lone Star quilt so I only marked the stencil in the corner squares and setting triangles. The rest was simply background cross hatching that I used painters tape as a guide and the star itself I also used tape to outline quilt 1/2" from every seam. So it was minimally marked.

Maride 06-28-2010 06:54 AM

I also use a lot of starch before marking and use a Bic mechanical pencil. I marked a white quilt and it all came off.

sharon b 06-28-2010 06:59 AM

Will it come out of you don't use starch ?

feline fanatic 06-28-2010 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b

Hard to say, I have heard horror stories where it did not due to the lead getting imbedded in the fibers of the fabric.

sewcrafty 06-28-2010 07:35 AM

I use a mechanical pencil with .05 lead. Its always washed out. Are you marking pieces or a quilt top for quilting. Now for my quilt top markings I use a marker from Dritz that's water soluable and never have had a problem with it.

Borntohandquilt 06-28-2010 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic

Originally Posted by sharon b

Hard to say, I have heard horror stories where it did not due to the lead getting imbedded in the fibers of the fabric.

I second this. The lead also stays into the quilting thread and this seems to be unremovable.

Ps 150 06-28-2010 07:41 AM

I had a horror story from using pencils. I bought a washable pencil package from Dritz. All of them were supposed to wash out except for one, which was for marking template plastic. So, I set that one aside and decided to use the gray washable on a neon-colored quilt for my daughter. After I was done sewing the top I washed it to get rid of the pencil markings before quilting and they never came out. I put it threw 10 times! Finally, I had to alter the pattern to make it less noticable but it still haunts me. Even tailor's chalk stays in sometimes. Now I ust hela markers and a lot of pins. But others I know have no problems with those pencils. I must have had a fluke but I'm scarred from that one fluke.

Hinterland 06-28-2010 08:08 AM

I've used a #2 pencil to mark without using starch, and it all came out. But, I mark everything lightly.

I've also used a washable graphite pencil with good results - I bought mine from the Stencil Company - they were vending at the Vermont Quilt Festival this weekend so I bought 2 more.

fabric_fancy 06-28-2010 08:10 AM

i ruined my first quilt this way so now i never use pencil on my quilts.