Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gravity quilt... How challenging is it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gravity-quilt-how-challenging-t262544.html)

meanmom 03-14-2015 12:45 PM

Welcome to the board. I have been drooling on that pattern for months. I have the pattern and I am waiting for the fabric kit to come in. I don't understand the delays as it is a Kona cottons. The colors are what makes a lot of the design. I don't normally buy kits but did for this one. I was talked in to teaching it as a BOM class at the LQS. According to the pattern it is 2 different blocks. It was originally supposed to be out on Feb 5th but still isn't in yet. I was planning on working on it at retreat. I guess that isn't going to happen as retreat is on Friday and I checked this morning and it isn't in.
I haven't thoroughly studied the pattern but I am pretty sure it isn't as bad as it looks. I would guess it would all depend on how skillful you are at sewing and following directions. There are some members of my guild ho have been quilting for years who would never be able to make it. Others are fairly new and it wouldn't be a problem. Maybe one of the LQS is having a class on it? Can't wait to get started on it.

meanmom 03-14-2015 12:47 PM

There is a bonus pillow pattern in the back of the pattern book that comes with it. I believe it is being marketed as a BOM.

madamekelly 03-14-2015 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 7125680)
Welcome to the board from NJ. If you are confident in your sewing skills in general you should be fine. The only issue with bias edges is the stretch. Use LOTS of starch. I use liquid Sta-Flo at a 1:1 ratio. I'm not familiar with that pattern but depending on how the instructions tell you to cut/piece the triangles, you could also sew a line of 'stay stiches' very close to what will be the cut edge (between your seam line and the cut edge) to keep the edges stable. Usually best done with larger pieces. Remember to 'press' not 'iron' when working with those cut pieces. Handle them as little as possible until they are sewn into your top.

I just want to add to this exellent advice. Dip your fabric in the liquid starch and water, or spray, until damp, and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes before ironing to get a really crispy ironing job.

RST 03-14-2015 03:33 PM

There are actually 9 blocks--each diamond shaped. You make 2 of each block, one in each of 2 color ways for every month, with additional months for assembly and the gray to black background. The blocks are not difficult, but if you are an erratic stitcher, you will run into problems with assembling the top-- diamonds need to line up nicely to work out well.

The pillow pattern in the back is a nice way to use up scraps left over from strips cut for the blocks, but it's not really the same kind of construction as the blocks.

I starch very lightly, and have had no issues with stitching the blocks. Keep in mind that the pieces are not tiny, and because they are strip cut, you are not as likely to get distortion of the bias edges as you might if you were cutting many tiny pieces with templates and scissors and handling/ pressing them repeatedly. Also, using the specialty rulers, you cut the angular pieces with blunted tips, which makes precision piecing easier in my experience. Things line up best with this design with pressed open seams, as I mentioned before; not my preference usually, but this is a place where they do work best.

Elise1 03-14-2015 04:11 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ3l1T9eINs

This video will show you how large the pieces are cut.

caspharm 03-14-2015 06:28 PM

Julie (Jaybird Quilts) is actually posting about the Gravity quilt on her blog: http://www.jaybirdquilts.com/search/label/Gravity. I subscribe to her blog, so I saw this when the email came, and that was when I decided to do the Gravity quilt as a BOM from an online quilt shop.

nancia 03-15-2015 01:29 AM

YOU CAN DO IT !! the scariest goblins are the ones we create in our minds. make a couple practice blocks and see if it's really hard or just your fears. i do my best when someone tells me i can't do it! bet you do, too.
welcome from philly!

annette1952 03-15-2015 06:43 AM

Beautiful quilt! I can see why you want to make it but I think it is a bit ambitious for a beginner quilter. I'm afraid you would get frustrated. One good thing is you have this whole board to help you on it which is a big plus. So good luck if you make the quilt & please post so we can see it

Busy Hands Quilts 03-23-2015 07:10 AM

It's fun to read your excitement about the GRAVITY Quilt!

I am hosting a GRAVITY Quilt Along on my blog, Busy hands Quilts. It runs from April 17th through November 13th. We'll assemble two blocks every two weeks for a total of 18 blocks over 9 weeks, then have four weeks to assemble the quilt top and eight weeks to quilt and bind.

The prizes are not to be missed! There is $235 in Gift Certificates plus fabric bundles, tools, books, patterns and more! There will be 11 link-up parties in which prizes will be given away. The Grand Prize is a $100 Gift Certificate from the Fat Quarter Shop + other goodies. I'm giving away a prize package from my stash with all giveaways.

You can read about the GRAVITY Quilt Along HERE.

And GRAVITY Quilt Kits are on sale through today at Craftsy!

I hope you join us! It's so much fun to sew along with others and potentially earn prizes!