Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   great buy at thrift store??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/great-buy-thrift-store-t214181.html)

GrannieAnnie 02-19-2013 11:25 AM

Keep an eye out for rummage sales, too. Often you can buy a paper grocery bag full of stuff for $5---or sometimes less on the last day. You can put one heck of a lot of shirts in one paper bag. I can put 10 pair of jeans/slacks in one bag. Carefully roll each item very tightly and place in the bag in the manner that best takes advantage of the bag shape. I never counted shirts, but I bet you can easily put 20 in one $5 bag!

running1 02-20-2013 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5872978)
Keep an eye out for rummage sales, too. Often you can buy a paper grocery bag full of stuff for $5---or sometimes less on the last day. You can put one heck of a lot of shirts in one paper bag. I can put 10 pair of jeans/slacks in one bag. Carefully roll each item very tightly and place in the bag in the manner that best takes advantage of the bag shape. I never counted shirts, but I bet you can easily put 20 in one $5 bag!

I will definitely try this!! Thanks!!

lauriejo 02-20-2013 05:10 AM

I have bought clothing at the thrift to use as fabric, and I have even bought clothing just for the buttons or trim when the price is right. But . . . I have never thought of the clothing at rummage sales! Duh lol

chips88 02-20-2013 05:24 AM

just the other weekend . went to the flea market. looked around awhile. and didnt see anything . so i was walking back to the truck. my eye caught a bin of fabric . so i walked on over and started looking threw it and seen some usable fabric. there was three huge bins of fabric. brimmining over.. the man came over and said 10 dollars for all. but wants to keep the bins.. that fabric came home with me.i went threw it and i tell you i have lots to go threw still. that was last weekend..when i got it. so story goes any fabric will sew or quilt something.:thumbup:

damaquilts 02-20-2013 05:56 AM

Mens shirts are great if you want plaids too.. I have used scrub shirts in novelty prints for childrens things. Skirts have a lot of fabric in them .. And the little short shirts I use to pass up with the neat little prints on them I have started buying to make purses out of. I have always loved thrift stores , I love the hunt. :) I haven't tried rayon though I usually try to go for all cotton. That will be next on the list

Geri B 02-20-2013 06:02 AM

what is a sheperd's coat mentioned in first thread??????

karenpatrick 02-20-2013 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5872971)
but, but, but.................oh, my heart hurts!

I would have bought it. There is no way I could have left it there. I would have found a use for it or gifted it to someone. I see denim rag quilts in my head.

DonnaC 02-20-2013 07:18 AM

I just made a rag quilt and several rag pillows out of my Mom's clothing (she passed away last year). They were all types of fabrics - knits, rayon, poly, cotton, you name it - and all washed and dried perfectly. No issues at all. So I would say, go ahead and use the fabric in your rag quilts, they will be lovely!

Halo 02-20-2013 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom (Post 5871465)
I was at my favorite thrift store today. There is a roll of 3 or 4 yards of heavy weight lighter blue denim for 6.00. I have no use for denim so I left it there.

OH NO! You left it? I would love to get a hold of it. I make lots of denim quilts & sold several. They are a big seller in this area as they are so warm.

GrannieAnnie 02-20-2013 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by lauriejo (Post 5874665)
I have bought clothing at the thrift to use as fabric, and I have even bought clothing just for the buttons or trim when the price is right. But . . . I have never thought of the clothing at rummage sales! Duh lol

You can get a heck of a bunch more. Even if shirts are individually priced, they are seldom over a dollar, unless it's a really nice shirt.