Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Great Ironing Surface (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/great-ironing-surface-t205476.html)

SmickChick 11-08-2012 03:06 PM

Great Ironing Surface

This is a little off the wall, but at the local building salvage/discount store, I purchased a commercial carpet square- 24" square with a tight weave. The kind of carpet squares they put in commercial offices. It cost $1.68 and it works great as an ironing surface! I love it!

lisalovesquilting 11-08-2012 03:10 PM

You definitely got a good deal. I always say, "whatever works"

DogHouseMom 11-08-2012 03:39 PM

Most carpet is made of Nylon ... be careful with a hot iron.

linda8450 11-08-2012 05:40 PM

Commercial carpet is made from Olefin yarns, not nylon, but EXACTLY the same warnings! Heat will melt the carpet which will not only ruin your iron, but also your irreplaceable project.

grann of 6 11-10-2012 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by SmickChick (Post 5644008)
This is a little off the wall, but at the local building salvage/discount store, I purchased a commercial carpet square- 24" square with a tight weave. The kind of carpet squares they put in commercial offices. It cost $1.68 and it works great as an ironing surface! I love it!

I would be cautious about using that. There may be glues used to put the layers together, and they may send out volatile gases when hot. Also, as mentioned before, most carpets have nylons and other synthetics that will melt with high heat.

bglock1 11-10-2012 05:44 PM

Haha! I just learned myself that carpet fibers are mostly nylon!!! Ask me how! Lol

captlynhall 11-10-2012 07:04 PM

If you have ever dropped a hot iron on the carpet, it can get ugly.

meanmom 11-11-2012 09:09 AM

I too can testify to problems with hot irons and carpet. I have a perfect iron print in the carpet in the middle of my sewing room. I bumped my ironing board and it tipped over. I jumped out of my chair and grabbed my iron, in only a few seconds I had a burn in my carpet.

LindaJR 11-12-2012 08:40 AM

I would be concerned about the odors given off by the carpet fibers. May not be noticable but bet they are there anyway. If you have birds in the house I would also caution about using the carpet for ironing especially if giving off invisible odors. I would think it would be easy to make an ironing surface out of a thin board, ironable padding and fabric. You could make it any size you wanted for your needs. Take care.

oldpiglady 11-13-2012 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by meanmom (Post 5649581)
I too can testify to problems with hot irons and carpet. I have a perfect iron print in the carpet in the middle of my sewing room. I bumped my ironing board and it tipped over. I jumped out of my chair and grabbed my iron, in only a few seconds I had a burn in my carpet.

I did exactly the same thing. Only my complete burn the shape of my iron is off to the side so I put stuff over it. lol