Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Guess what I bought tonight........ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guess-what-i-bought-tonight-t26263.html)

AtHomeSewing 09-29-2009 06:13 PM

Wow, the letter makes it especially incredible. Have you considered adding your own letter at some point, so that as this machine moves through the generations, the story will continue?

Congratulations!

earthwalker 09-29-2009 06:33 PM

What a great find...and with provenance - Well done and I hope you have many years of enjoyment from it.

pocoellie 09-29-2009 08:05 PM

Great!! We're anxiously awaiting pictures.

wvdek 09-29-2009 08:18 PM

Oh wow! What a great buy. You will surely enjoy that and what a great price.

tlrnhi 09-29-2009 08:23 PM

WOOHOO!! What a great find!!!

Sandy1951 09-29-2009 09:16 PM

Wow! $200 is a great deal! And how neat that the letter stayed with the machine all these years.

My mom bought a new Featherweight before I was born (in 1951). She taught me to sew on it and I made all my doll clothes and then my own. When I was 15, Mom traded it in for a new Singer. She didn't want to trade it, but wanted me to buy it instead with my babysitting money. She couldn't afford to keep it if I didn't buy it, but had to use it for the trade-in discount. However, I was a typical 15-year-old and wanted to use the new machine, not the old Featherweight. I've regretted that decision many, many times in the past 43 years, believe me!

Luckily, I found a Featherweight in the used section of a sewing machine store for $25 in the late 70's or early 80's. It's a 1949 model; Mom's was either a 1949 or 1950. I stopped sewing in the mid-80's and put it away for years. The timing was off when I got it out last year, so I had it tuned up. The technician offered me $500 for it, but I said no way. It sews beautifully now and takes me back to my childhood when I use it.

By the way, I would never have mine painted because it would affect the value and I like the original black, but I have to say I love the painted Featherweights. They're so shiny and cute. Wish I could afford to buy a couple of pink ones for my granddaughters. Or one pink and one purple.

Enjoy your new purchase!

Sandy

bebe 09-30-2009 04:16 AM

Yipee!!!!!!! I love the 2 I have and waiting a couple of weeks to pay off my new baby!! This new machine is a White Featherweight which are really rare. Enjoy your machine :D :D :D

beachlady 09-30-2009 04:22 AM

Sandy, I saw a pink one online and if I remember correctly it was listed at 6,775.00. Isn't that amazing? You have to love pink to pay that much!

BellaBoo 09-30-2009 04:50 AM

Congrats! Printing out your post would be a fitting addition for future owners to find. There is a great yahoo group that has one of the foremost featherweight experts as a regular poster. He will tell you exactly what to do to fix any featherweight problem if you have one.

I have a white featherweight, it's a little smaller then the black ones. It was given to me, I had been looking for a black one. One thing, the new teeth belts don't work that great on the featherweights, use the flat ones.

sandpat 09-30-2009 04:54 AM

Wow...that is just too cool! The machine was a great find/deal, then to find the letter....just blows me away!