Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Guild Christmas Party (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guild-christmas-party-t231988.html)

Clareelou 10-07-2013 06:41 PM

Guild Christmas Party

Our guild meeting in December is always a Christmas Party. We exchange themed Christmas blocks and usually play fun games, and of course eat potluck items. I am on the committee to plan the meeting. Thought I would ask if anyone has any fun activities/games that can include 40+ people. (Thanks in advance)
Clare

wesing 10-07-2013 07:05 PM

My favorite is the white elephant/gag gift party. My friends and I have been having one for over 20 years, and we have about 40 in attendance (not quilting themed). You could have everyone bring an ugly block, or a bizarre SM attachment or foot, or something along that line. I'd love to do an ugly block gag gift party! Then next year if they have used the block have them bring the project in and have a contest on who did the best job using their ugly.

Darren

BETTY62 10-07-2013 08:02 PM

I agree with Darren. The white elephant/gag gift party works great with larger groups. Just make sure you set some guidelines so everyone will know what to expect.

hopetoquilt 10-08-2013 01:52 AM

Ugliest FQ exchange. Showcase of Christmas quilts. Quick demo of a Christmas block oh to. Ask everyone who wants to participate to bring in a 9 1/2 inch 9 patch with red and white that can be pieced into an Irish chain. Would make a good prize.

toverly 10-08-2013 04:56 AM

We had a fun gift exchange. It involved a quilting story of "left" and "right". (She left her needles in the car and went right out to get them, ect.) Each person started with their own gift and we all sat in a circle. As the story was read the gifts were passed. Sorry I don't have it but I am sure it can be googled or easily made up. The gifts ended up way across the room after having been passed completely around several times. Our gifts last year was the challenge for this year, to be revealed this December. Each person had brought a yard of fabric, to be used in a quilt. There were the usual stipulations of size and to use all the yard. It even had a "season" attached to it and we were to make the season we received in the quilt. But that was not always successful. So I don't know how many won't do it due to the wrong season. Christmas fabric in a Spring quilt, might be stretching it a bit.

GemState 10-08-2013 05:20 AM

I googled GAMES MR. AND MRS. WRIGHT and a bunch of games came up. We have used this at our quilt club Christmas party and it is lots of fun.

nanna-up-north 10-08-2013 05:22 AM

I was only in a guild for a couple of years and only went to 1 Christmas meeting/party. We played "Bad Santa". I hope I can explain it well enough.

1. Everyone brings a gift to exchange that is quilting related. We had a $5 limit. And don't wrap it so everyone can see what is available.

2. Numbers are prepared ahead of time so when it's time to play the game everyone draws a number out of a bag.

3. The numbers are then called, in order, to come up and pick an item from the exchange table. But, wait, this is when the fun begins.

4. When your number is called (anyone after number 1) you can pick a gift from the exchange table or you can take a gift from someone that has already been selected. If you took a gift from someone else, that person picks a new gift.

5. The best number to have is the last number because you can pick from everything and no one will be able to take it from you.

It was great fun.... so much fun that we do it at our family Christmas gathering now.

nanna-up-north 10-08-2013 05:24 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention..... they didn't start with number 1. They drew the number they were going to start with before the numbers were selected.... more fair that way.

thimblebug6000 10-08-2013 07:31 AM

Will you be sitting at tables? For the last two years we've had members volunteer and they do a challenge decoration of the tables. The tables are voted on by all the members & the winning decorator gets a prize. Usually she has also made small take aways like a mug rug or wool penguin or something for each of the people who sit at her table. It's not really a game, but is fun & really makes the room look festive. My friend won the 1st year, she had gone to a $$ store & bought a tourquoise plastic table cloth with snowflakes, matching napkins etc. and decorated with crystal type snowflakes, very pretty...

Yarn or Fabric 10-14-2013 07:49 AM

Our guild also does a dirty/bad/silly Santa. Last year one lady insisted that each person only have one option to get what they want but that's stinky cheese. We usually go through the names once then do them a second time so that people have a better chance of getting something they really like. Very few people left happy last year.

We also ask that everyone make a small quilted item to go on the outside of the wrapped package - kind of like a gift tag. We did ornaments twice. This year we're just doing small item.. there will probably be a lot of mug rugs, coaster sets, zippered bags, etc. I think I'm going to make a machine embroidered and quilted bag to go on the top of my package this year....