Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Guild meeting hospitality (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guild-meeting-hospitality-t183885.html)

fireworkslover 03-26-2012 11:50 AM

We occasionally will have cookies. It's announced the month before at the meeting as well as in the monthly newsletter who is to bring cookies, for instance those who's last names begin with the letter A - K. Extra cookie plates are then sold as a fund raidser for the club.

duckydo 03-26-2012 01:03 PM

The last guild I belonged to always wanted snacks, we met from 7PM until 9PM, I think it just takes away from the meeting to have to serve snacks and you are right lots of folks don't want to bring anything, but they want to eat. Guess it is just up to the guild, I say take a vote. The idea of just having soda or water and charging .50 sounds like a great idea.

carolynjo 03-26-2012 01:08 PM

In Dec. our guild passes around a sign-up sheet, asking for 2 or 3 people to sign up for light breakfast-type food for each month of the year except for July (picnic) and Christmas. (Our guild is small--only about 30 people.) Then, at Christmas, everyone is a hostess and brings a dish to share while we play a game to win gifts. It has worked well for us since we are not a large group.

mom-6 03-26-2012 01:36 PM

Most groups I've been a part of have had snacks or a potluck meal at least periodically. A lot depends on the time of the meeting as to what fits best. Also are most of the members involved in lots of other things (like kids sports or other activities plus a full time job) or do they have plenty of time to come up with something to bring.

Many times I'd run by the grocery store on the way to whatever meeting it was and grab a bag of salad or pack of cookies or go thru the drive thru at the chicken place and grab a family bucket and hope I was going to get there before everyone got thru the serving line. Seemed like the meeting scheduling was often focused on getting everybody home before whatever TV program came on and didn't take into account the fact that some of us had more going on than just that one meeting and watching TV! Will get off my soapbox now...LOL!

Debbie73521 03-26-2012 02:14 PM

We are a small guild with average attendance at daytime main meeting of 20. We have 2 hostesses and they are responsible for desserts, setting out dishes brought for potluck, paper products and making ice tea and of course cleanup. 2 weeks later is our workday and its a casual bring and share lunch with everybody pitching in.

memereof8 03-26-2012 02:44 PM

I tried to get rid of snacks--if you want one bring it in. Our guild starts at 6:30pm. With members rushing home from work, eating, then going to the meeting, many are not hungry. You should see the desserts and snacks that we have to bring back home. What a waste.

newbiequilter 03-26-2012 04:23 PM

I belong to a small guild - 60 members. Usually 30 or so show up. We have a new hospitality chair this year and she organized "snacks" for the entire year. Those signed up are reminded in the newsletter. Twice a year we do a pot-luck (June b-b-q and then Christmas). Those signed up for each month are expected to set up and clean up. No one keeps track - at least not visably.

Cathleen Colson 03-26-2012 08:41 PM

Our guild meets monthly with a 6:30 to 9:00 pm timeline. We have over 300 members, with about 150-200 attending the meetings. Small quilt groups (we have about 30) volunteer to bring the snacks each month by signing the volunteer list every few months. Hot water for tea, cookies, veggies and dip, crackers and cheese. Sometimes baskets of lemons or other produce from their gardens to take home! (iris roots, tulip bulbs, lilly sets) We eat and socialize from 6:30 to 7:00, business meeting for about 20 minutes, then break for eating and library and bargain garden and shopping whatever our speaker has provided. Then 7:30 to about 8:30 is speaker, then the rest is show and tell.

Bluehouse 03-27-2012 08:42 AM

Our guild does it by "alphabet" those with the last names of A-G bring this month..... H-L bring next month... etc.....that seems to work for us.