Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Guild Memberships (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guild-memberships-t274198.html)

Jan in VA 01-06-2016 01:03 PM

Guild Memberships

Today I received an amazing phone call. I knew our guild recently changed boards and our new President appears to be doing a top notch job according to those I've spoken with. But, I have not been to a meeting for nearly 2 years due to my own health issues conflicting with the schedule, Mom losing interest, and my move which now places me 60 minutes away. Yet during this time I have made several big fabric donations to them for community quilts and just 2 weeks ago I gifted them with most of my mom's quilting stuff following her stroke. It literally filled the president's good sized sedan with fabric, patterns, templates, books, and baskets! Mom had been collecting since I taught her to quilt in early 1990, often surpassing me in her efforts. :o (Nothing thrills a teacher more!)

Well, today the president called me to advise that the board, which met yesterday, had suggested and voted me into Lifetime Membership -- no dues, but ALL privileges! There are only a few of these memberships. It is so touching and appreciated, it was stunning. :shock: I can hardly believe it because I haven't seen or spoken to many of these gals for 2 years. I often taught workshops for them, but felt like I was really a lesser talented member of the 115 member group. Now that the new year has begun, and Mom lives in GA with my brother, and I don't really have schedules holding me back, I can not wait to get to a meeting this Friday!! Had to share, I'm so excited! Can you tell?!

Does your quilting guild/group have different levels of memberships? What is the average age of your group? And how many members do you have?

Jan in VA

tellabella 01-06-2016 01:14 PM

Sounds like you have given a lot from your heart and so you deserve it...obviously this guild feels that way and it's nice that they acknowledged your generosity...enjoy the meetings and the friends...

ckcowl 01-06-2016 01:20 PM

How exciting for you! Congratulations!
Our local guild is a good sized group ( last I heard 125+) I haven't been involved in 4-5 years due to scheduling conflicts, but donate also, and always visit the show they host. ( my work schedule has changed starting this new year & I just might be able to rejoin-- yea!)
I have no idea if they have different levels of membership.
Last summer's show it seemed that the active members were probably in the age groups of (40's -- 60's) and up.

yngldy 01-06-2016 01:29 PM

How wonderful to know that they appreciated your efforts and valued you as a member. Hope it is all it was before, and then some!

Geri B 01-06-2016 01:33 PM

No I have never heard of our guild doing that.......congratulations........the one locally I belong to has less than 50 members, and honestly, IMHO, most just come to visit with each other or get away from DH. More than half are seniors.....
the other is more active, has many committees, a show every two yrs, a wide range of ages, over 100 members, meet 12 months a yr. the only draw back for me is it is in a city about 25 miles away on rural roads, which are very dark at night and in bad weather snow blown, so I only attend in good weather....

janRN 01-06-2016 02:11 PM

Congratulations, Jan--a well-deserved honor.

Pudge 01-06-2016 02:13 PM

Wow, that's fabulous news. I can tell you are honored and appreciated by your guild members for both your contributions and your collegial personality, Jan. I am vice chair for my guild of 65 members and I plan to share this benefit with my chair. Have a great time at your meetings!

Stitchnripper 01-06-2016 02:15 PM

Glad to hear, Jan. Good to know they appreciate you. I know I do - your comments are spot on as far as I am concerned. Re: guilds. I'm not in one right now. We just moved (to Georgia) and there is a quilt shop 2 miles away I haven't been in yet. I'm sure I will find a quilting family there. At least I hope. And will find out about any guilds.

sewingsuz 01-06-2016 02:30 PM

I am very happy for you and congrats. Our guild does not do this.

Onebyone 01-06-2016 03:31 PM

Ahh that is so nice of the guild to honor you this way. You will be an asset to them for sure.
I quit my long time guild this year and joined a new one. My guild was getting stagnant and too set in it's ways due to the majority of the members were very senior. They voted down anything new. My new guild is very age diverse, lots of members and involved in all aspects of quilting. I read in the member's book that members with 25 years of membership and have filled an office of the guild have free lifetime memberships. I thought that was nice.