Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Guild trip to the International Quilt Study Center (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guild-trip-international-quilt-study-center-t296246.html)

quiltingshorttimer 04-15-2018 07:11 PM

Guild trip to the International Quilt Study Center

my quilt guild took a day trip to the International Quilt Study Center in Lincoln, NE. Wow,wow,wow! This was a lot of work on my part cause I'm the current president and it was my idea. But totally worth it!

We traveled 4 hrs each way from our small town by coach/bus. We left at 6:30am and got home about 7:15pm. some of the members planned snacks and we had lunch catered by the HyVee in Lincoln. I can't say enough good stuff about the CrossRoads Busline, HyVee or the IQSC staffs.

Our weather had dropped from a high of 78 on Friday to low 40's and high winds and sprinkles/snow--so my email and text where going crazy the night before with members worried about driving into what the news was calling a blizzard! While western NE did have a blizzard, Lincoln had the same weather we left behind--and came back to. We had 81 participants.

The IQSC was created in 1997 as a result of the donation of the James' donation of their quilt collect of close to 1000 quilts. The University of Nebraska, which the IQSC is part of, offers a masters degree in textiles with an emphasis in quilts. So the IQSC is truly a study center, not just a collection. Their facility is amazing and we all truly enjoyed the "behind the scenes" tour. The real stars of the exhibits were the Ken Burns collection.

Ken Burns, in case you didn't know, is the historian & documentarian behind the documentaries on VN, the Civil War, the National Parks, baseball, and other indepth documentaries. He also loves quilts and has them all over his home. the IQSC docent said that its the first time he's lent them out to a public exhibit and he keeps calling to check on them!

Our guild used the profit sharing we received from sponsoring the KC Regional Quilt Fest to pay for this expense other than the members admission--and it was well worth our investment. just a great trip and if you or your guild is close enough to make that trip to Lincoln, NE I suggest you go! just amazing displays and so much to learn.

cashs_mom 04-15-2018 07:30 PM

Wow! That sounds like so much fun!

Teen 04-15-2018 10:16 PM

That's sounds like a wonderful road trip. Such a great turn-out. I love Ken Burns and had no idea he was a quilt lover. That is really cool,to know. Congratulations on a successful trip. Kudo's to you! (I'm sure you are glad this is behind you...lots of work to organize something like this)

liking quilting 04-16-2018 03:06 AM

You organized a fantastic day for your group, by the sounds of it! I'll have to try to get there some day.

NJ Quilter 04-16-2018 03:12 AM

Sounds like a wonderful trip for everyone. Definitely much work on your part but, obviously, you loved the experience as well.

luvstoquilt 04-16-2018 04:29 AM

Just took a bus trip to International Quilt show in Rosemont, Illinois. Fabulous day..our bus ride was just about an hour each way. We left at 8:45 and got back at 4:30...it was a great day and fun to not have to find the place and then find a parking spot!!!!