Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Guilds (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guilds-t163847.html)

MissJMac 10-29-2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by lfletcher
I have never heard of a guild having a waiting list. Why do they limit the number of their members?

Originally Posted by Sunnie
I thought about it, but the local guild has quite a waiting list. Plus I'm not sure I could fulfill the time requirements as my dogs and dog shows take up a lot of time.

I'm trying to give the "waiting list" issue the benefit of the doubt - perhaps the meeting place has limited space.
Any other reasons I can think of (and there are several) are totally unacceptable and I wouldn't want to be affiliated with these people.

Grandma58 10-29-2011 11:40 AM

On here is the closest I come to being in a guild.

LAQUITA 10-29-2011 11:41 AM

Two of my girlfriends and I joined a local quild last year. We average over 70+ ladies a month. I enjoy getting to meet others that enjoy quilting as much / even more than I do.
They have a new technique/teacher/ some kind of spotlighted event each month.
Our quild also has a annual quilt show each July. We volunteered last year and I will do it again this year.
This is a very friendly group, so willing to help you, answer any questions,or show you how to do something.
We all enjoy the one we go to.

aronel 10-29-2011 12:21 PM

I am Guild-less I prefer the solitude. Just me, my sewing machines and my music.

dunster 10-29-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by MissJMac

Originally Posted by lfletcher
I have never heard of a guild having a waiting list. Why do they limit the number of their members?

Originally Posted by Sunnie
I thought about it, but the local guild has quite a waiting list. Plus I'm not sure I could fulfill the time requirements as my dogs and dog shows take up a lot of time.

I'm trying to give the "waiting list" issue the benefit of the doubt - perhaps the meeting place has limited space.
Any other reasons I can think of (and there are several) are totally unacceptable and I wouldn't want to be affiliated with these people.

I've been thinking about the waiting list too. Limited meeting space is the most obvious reason, but there is another. The character of a guild changes completely when it becomes really large. Many people who would volunteer to be on the board of a small guild are intimidated by a large one. Show and tell becomes less personal, and hard to see when the meeting room holds 100+ people. Members can't know all the other members or invite all of them over for tea and cookies (and quilting). Now don't get me wrong - I belong to a big guild (and a small one) and I love the advantages of both. But I can understand people founding a small guild and wanting to keep it that way. And to do so they have to come up with a maximum number of members and stick with it, otherwise they would be rejecting some new applicants and accepting others. So I've come to the conclusion that having a waiting list is perfectly fine and understandable.

MargeD 10-29-2011 12:45 PM

When I wasn't working full-time, I belonged to the local quilt guild and even served as President for two years, as well as serving on other positions along the way. It was a great place to learn new things about quilting, see what others were doing and make new quiltng friends. However, when I started working full-time I had to stop going, and since I didn't like going out at night, quilting for me became a solitary thing. However, I miss seeing what people are doing and learning new things. I'll probably start looking for a new guild soon.

merchjag 10-29-2011 01:24 PM

I have belonged to the Rivers Bend Quilt quild for 5 years. We have 40 members,a variety of age grouping-some newbies and some Master quilters. We meet first Monday of the month and I enjoy it. No one is mean spirted and every one is helpful. If you need help there is always some near to help. Plus we have a LAQer in the group who makes it easy to take your tops to.

quiltmau 10-29-2011 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
I thought about joining the local guild. Visited for an evening with one of my best friends and my mom. We all left with the same feeling of non-acceptance. The women who ran the guild, skipped over us when it came to show and tell time, when clearly we had finished projects and WIP's on lap and in hands ready to show. When we raised our hands throughout the course of the night, we were ignored. Not one woman greeted us or said one word to us all night, 2-3 hours!

I don't really want to make a long drive to find a guild where I'm accepted and belong.

PS-none of us had any deformities and we all bathe regularly.

I can understand this as I had the same experience. I know coming into any group is hard but it helps if they are open and friendly. I go it alone.

SpotMurphy 10-29-2011 01:51 PM

The last two years I haven't been as involved with my guild as I'd like because of health issues. I have met wonderful, kind, and helpful ladies. I managed to attend two retreats and enjoyed quilting with others and made great friends. Our guild gives away about 200-300 quilts a year. They have interesting national and local speakers, who offer classes the day after the monthly meeting. After the meeting, they have an experienced quilter show a technique. There is no waiting list. All are warmly welcomed. I hope you all find a group as wonderful.

Kyiav10 10-29-2011 02:11 PM

I would love to join a guild but my schedule prolly wouldn't allow it. Also, I don't know how they would be. My quilts dont' seem to measure up and get comments so it may just be a downer for me.

Kyia