Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   guitar rag quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guitar-rag-quilt-t32701.html)

DONK 12-31-2009 05:47 AM

I have a question and not sure if anyone can help me or not but here goes. Is there any way you can add length to a rag quilt after it has been washed a billion times? The one i made my nephew keeps shrinking or else he won't stop growing. Any way my sister wants me to add length to it and i'm not sure how. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Oklahoma Suzie 12-31-2009 07:06 AM

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that one, but I'm sure someone on here will.

amma 12-31-2009 08:44 AM

I am going to assume that you did not bind it. You can cut off the ragged edges on the sides that you want to add on to, and sew on additional rows. I personally would not want to try and sew them right on to the raggedy edges, that would be more difficult.

If it does have binding, I either remove or cut it off and then add more rows on and then re-bind it. :D:D:D

dunster 12-31-2009 09:48 AM

I would think that the new section would shrink at a different rate than the rest of the quilt. That would ruin the whole thing. Why not just make him a new quilt?

DONK 12-31-2009 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I am going to assume that you did not bind it. You can cut off the ragged edges on the sides that you want to add on to, and sew on additional rows. I personally would not want to try and sew them right on to the raggedy edges, that would be more difficult.

If it does have binding, I either remove or cut it off and then add more rows on and then re-bind it. :D:D:D

No i didn't bind it and now i have to get more material cause i don't have any of what i used left but thanks for the input.

DONK 12-31-2009 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
I would think that the new section would shrink at a different rate than the rest of the quilt. That would ruin the whole thing. Why not just make him a new quilt?

Making a new quilt is not an option cause this was expensive. I bought the material special just for him. Thanks anyway.

MadQuilter 12-31-2009 11:35 AM

I suppose that the new fabric will be much brighter than the well-washed fabric. It may look better if the addition was on both ends (and possibly even a row on the side). It would make the older portion look framed.

You could cut the last row down and adjust the new pieces to the new measurement.

and for goodness sake, put duct tape on the boy to keep him from growing more. lol

Grandma Cindy 12-31-2009 11:49 AM

I have done it, no problem, simply sew a seam 1/2 inch behind the rag, trim off the rag, the attach your new additions and watch him grow some more... Don't those little guys love those rag quilts. I made one three years ago for my two grandsons and they are still dragging it around... They don't care about matching,fabrics or color fading, they are just great blankies... Happy New Year to all!

DONK 01-01-2010 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Cindy
I have done it, no problem, simply sew a seam 1/2 inch behind the rag, trim off the rag, the attach your new additions and watch him grow some more... Don't those little guys love those rag quilts. I made one three years ago for my two grandsons and they are still dragging it around... They don't care about matching,fabrics or color fading, they are just great blankies... Happy New Year to all!

Thank you. He's not so little. About 6 foot and a junior in high school.

moreland 01-01-2010 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by DONK
I have a question and not sure if anyone can help me or not but here goes. Is there any way you can add length to a rag quilt after it has been washed a billion times? The one i made my nephew keeps shrinking or else he won't stop growing. Any way my sister wants me to add length to it and i'm not sure how. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've lengthened several--Just made a new row like the other rows in the quilt and sewed it on. I had to buy new fabric for one I did, so we washed it, since the quilt it was going on had been washed. We found a fabric that blended very well with the existing quilt. I'm thinking we put a row at the top and one at the bottom to make things evenly matched.