Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gulp! Why do I do these things? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gulp-why-do-i-do-these-things-t92405.html)

madamekelly 01-20-2011 11:33 PM

I recently acquired a Dresden 9 degree ruler, 25" long. (I couldn't find a smaller one, locally.) I have always wanted to try a "Dresden". My niece is into all things Japanese. I found the perfect Asian inspired fabric, for a big fan wall hanging (It takes 20 blades to make a Dresden plate). I used 13 blades of the focus fabric, plus two complementary outer blades. Put the whole thing on cream TOT. So far, so good. Carefully cut, ironed, machine joined, and appliqued with each stitch by hand. At this point, I am thrilled with it. This will be my 2nd MQ project. This morning I sat down to begin the quilting. I carefully sewed along the edge of the fan, evenly all the way around. When I snipped the thread, it dawned on me that using white quilting thread in the bobbin, on a quilt with a deep green tonal backing was stupid, stupid, stupid. Maybe tomorrow will be a good day to learn how to remove quilting stitches. :oops: P.S. Wish me luck.

gale 01-20-2011 11:46 PM

Good luck. I have lots of learning in removing stitches.

craftybear 01-21-2011 12:34 AM

good luck, we all learn by our mistakes

Originally Posted by madamekelly
I recently acquired a Dresden 9 degree ruler, 25" long. (I couldn't find a smaller one, locally.) I have always wanted to try a "Dresden". My niece is into all things Japanese. I found the perfect Asian inspired fabric, for a big fan wall hanging (It takes 20 blades to make a Dresden plate). I used 13 blades of the focus fabric, plus two complementary outer blades. Put the whole thing on cream TOT. So far, so good. Carefully cut, ironed, machine joined, and appliqued with each stitch by hand. At this point, I am thrilled with it. This will be my 2nd MQ project. This morning I sat down to begin the quilting. I carefully sewed along the edge of the fan, evenly all the way around. When I snipped the thread, it dawned on me that using white quilting thread in the bobbin, on a quilt with a deep green tonal backing was stupid, stupid, stupid. Maybe tomorrow will be a good day to learn how to remove quilting stitches. :oops: P.S. Wish me luck.

quilterella 01-21-2011 12:51 AM

Frustrating isn't it. Maybe you could just leave it there, to show off your quilting" LOL. I do things like that quite often. We are supposed to learn by our mistakes... half the time I think they are just creative quirks and the rest of the time I just sit and "rippit" while listening to some favorite tunes.

quiltlonger 01-21-2011 06:47 AM

Just 'remember' for the next time

sewwhat85 01-21-2011 08:46 AM

how fun it will be when it is done

Terryl 01-21-2011 09:28 AM

Since it's a wall hanging, I doubt anyone will see the back so I'd just leave it as is and finish the way you began. Obviously I believe that our mistakes are meant to be "learning curves" also if your niece thinks she doesn't want the white thread on the back she can use a fabric paint/marker and trace the stitches, I did that to the border of one of my quilts because I didn't think the quilting showed enough. Just my opinion.

marymac628 01-21-2011 03:50 PM

If you can find a permanent marker that is the same color you can cover it up fairly decently and save the ripping for another project

Raggiemom 01-21-2011 03:52 PM

Sounds like a great project, would love to see pictures.

LivelyLady 01-21-2011 03:57 PM

Been there...done that. My seam rippers quickly became my best friend.