Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gutermann thread problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gutermann-thread-problem-t182760.html)

Blackberry 03-14-2012 06:12 AM

Gutermann thread problem

I was doing some FMQ yesterday and everything was going great until all of a sudden the thread broke and the spool went spinning out of control. When it finally stopped there was thread wound around the spindle. I have had spools of Gutermann thread do this before but never with such speed. I seem to have this problem only with Gutermann thread and I think they must wind it to tightly on the spool so at times it can't be pulled thru the tension and down into the fabric. Usually it will pull itself thru and just spin the spool around slightly and will not break the thread, although it scares you slightly. Has anyone else who used Gutermann thread noticed this. I purchased several spools at a really good price so I will get thru them but I don't think I will be buying anymore Gutermann thread.

Candace 03-14-2012 07:38 AM

From what I understand Guterman is made in both Mexico and Greece and folks tend to like the thread made in Greece better. Look on your spool and see where it's made. I do buy Gutermann at JoAnnes and all my machines like it. I've had no problems. I prefer Aurifil, but if I'm out, I'll make do with Mettler or Gutermann.

DebraK 03-14-2012 07:58 AM

I piece with it, but that's about it. No problems there.

susie-susie-susie 03-14-2012 08:18 AM

I use that thread a lot and haven't ever had a problem. However, my machine isn't fussy about thread like some others I have been reading about.
Sue

littlesurfer 03-14-2012 08:35 AM

I have the same problem with Guterman thread and I won't purchase it anymore.

lyndad 03-14-2012 08:38 AM

What a coincidence, I just put a quilt top in the frame and was using Guterman thread for the first time to quilt. It is continually breaking and fraying, I've used it before I thought maybe I had gotten an old spool.

Tartan 03-14-2012 08:41 AM

My machine has 2 options for placing the spool on the machine. One is vertical and one is horizontal. Perhaps you could try the in the horizontal position so that the thread comes off the spool without the spool turning?

SusieQuilter 03-14-2012 09:21 AM

I only use it to piece and I have had some breakage issues similar to yours as well. I've also had issues with breakage with their thread that is specifically for hand quilting -I have to use super short pieces because it tends to knot, fray, unravel, and break super easily. I will not buy anymore of it.

Blackberry 03-14-2012 10:13 AM

I am actually using it in my Singer 15-91 but the same thing happens when I am using my 201 and also with the Brother CS6000i. I just think I am pretty much done with Gutterman thread. In fact I am thinking of winding all of my bobbins with that thread so I won't have to use it in the upper part of the machine.

Jan in VA 03-14-2012 11:30 AM

About 12-14 years ago Gutterman was making most if not all its cotton thread in Mexico. And breaking problems were notoriously known in the industry. My shop discontinued carrying it at that time. A few years later I heard that they had quit the Mexican operations so the thread had improved considerably. Is it possible the thread you are using is from that time period?

Jan in VA