Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hancocks clearance batiks... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hancocks-clearance-batiks-t135584.html)

wannaquilt1 07-06-2011 07:05 AM

I got some really pretty batiks from hancocks (the fabric in my avitar) and unfolded it last night to piece the backing for my quilt and noticed there is a big hole (about 2") in a section of the fabric right in the middle. Is this common for Hancocks and is this why it was on sale? It was $3 a yard so im not going to bother taking it back but I'm kinda miffed and want to know for the future.

I'm working on a bedquilt so i'll just use muslin for the backing since no one will see it anyway :(

amma 07-06-2011 07:11 AM

I don't think that is usual at all... I have never known them to sell fabric knowingly that had holes in it...

Probably just a manufacturing blip that got missed, those machines move so fast, the next machine just didn't pick up the defect :( Sorry it happened to you :(

Cherylsea 07-06-2011 07:13 AM

Just applique something cute or appropriate over the hole and maybe use a little FrayCheck.

np3 07-06-2011 07:36 AM

Piece the back using the good parts.

littlehud 07-06-2011 12:19 PM

The only time I bought fabric with a flaw in it the clerk pointed it out to me and asked if I still wanted it. I said yes because I could cut around the problem area. She gave me an extra half yard free just to make sure I had enough fabric. They are usually really good about their fabrics.

QuiltnCowgirl 07-06-2011 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by np3
Piece the back using the good parts.

This is what I would do.

quiltsRfun 07-06-2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
The only time I bought fabric with a flaw in it the clerk pointed it out to me and asked if I still wanted it. I said yes because I could cut around the problem area. She gave me an extra half yard free just to make sure I had enough fabric. They are usually really good about their fabrics.

Same thing happened to me with a fabric that was soiled. My clerk was generous. I needed 8 yds, she charged me for 7.

wannaquilt1 07-06-2011 03:11 PM

Well turns out I used a lot of it for my border and used that section anyway. I got some muslin for the back and I think it will work really well. Ill pay attention when they r cutting from now on so that doesn't happen.

ccrow99 07-06-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud

Same thing happened at Joann's. Clerk caught the defect, not me. I was so happy she had found it. Gave me a discount on the piece. No argument there.

Marcia D 07-06-2011 05:02 PM

It's nice to know there are good people out in the working world when all of our pennies need to stretch so far these days.