Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hancock's of Paducah (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hancocks-paducah-t194168.html)

quiltmom04 07-10-2012 05:40 AM

Hancock's of Paducah

Our family will be driving from Austin, TX to PA. I'd like to route us through Paducah to visit Hancocks of Paducah. We will have limited time, so I'm wondering whether it's worth the stop, or is the catalog not a true representation of the actual store. Has anyone been there -perhaps even when the quilt show is not in town? Thanks so much, quilters!

luvstoquilt301 07-10-2012 06:08 AM

They have a BIG backroom with LOTS of sale fabrics.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 07-10-2012 06:44 AM

It is about the size of a Wal-Mart and it is full of fabric. I find it a bit overwhelming. Where to start? If you are a good shopper, you should find tons of things you want.

quiltsforme 07-10-2012 06:44 AM

I live about 40 minutes from Paducah. I think you would enjoy the store. Tons of fabric, and a huge backroom full of goodies.

NikkiLu 07-10-2012 06:53 AM

I was just there a couple of weeks ago - a must-see store - they say that women actually cry when they first go in. I really don't think thay have many bargains though - but every piece of quilting fabric that is in their catalogs is there so that you can see it and feel it. I did really good at the batik remnant table - towards the right in the back of the store. They have about 10 LONG rows of batiks - thus the remnant table FULL of remnants. My DD lives within walking distance of Hancocks of Paducah - well, she can walk there, I couldn't - LOL They do have skinny rows and always have women with carts pulling out fabrics for their catalog orders. I think that they said that they do about 90% of their business via their catalog. Pick up a catalog when you check out too.

quiltstringz 07-10-2012 07:54 AM

I have only been during the Quilt Show, but it was mighty impressive. If you can swing it I think a trip to the Quilt Museum would be a good use of your trip.

LTeachergeorge 07-10-2012 08:03 AM

It should be a MUST!! I've been there in August; my non-quilter friend said she would give me an hour to look around. Well, two and a half hours (and many $$$$) later, we left. Would love to go back -- did not know about any "back" room.

BellaBoo 07-10-2012 08:27 AM

I've been many times. It's about six hours from me so I drive there for classes at Quilt in a Day and the Quilt Museum a few times a year, stay over night and of course Hancock's of Paducah is on my list. The prices are the same as the catalog so no bargains but the selection will overwhelm you. Every fabric line is there. The sewing notions are retail priced. The thread selection is great and walls of patterns and books. It took me over an hour just to check out the patterns my first time there. I enjoy Quilt in a Day store there too. It's a very nice quilt shop. It is in downtown Paducah. I would choose the Quilt Museum instead of Hancock's if I had to choose one to visit. It's a shame you can't have a full day to visit Paducah since you are there anyway. If it is the only chance you will be there for years to come then make the time. As I told DH, we don't have the time for making regrets.

GrannieAnnie 07-10-2012 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04 (Post 5353106)
Our family will be driving from Austin, TX to PA. I'd like to route us through Paducah to visit Hancocks of Paducah. We will have limited time, so I'm wondering whether it's worth the stop, or is the catalog not a true representation of the actual store. Has anyone been there -perhaps even when the quilt show is not in town? Thanks so much, quilters!

As big as the place is, it ought to entertain you for a couple hours!

nygal 07-10-2012 08:31 AM

I bet it will be more than worth the trip!!! Lucky you!

I've been to Keepsake Quilting shop in New Hampshire when ever we are on vacation in that area and I always make a stop in there. Hancocks sounds a LOT bigger so I know I'd sure love it!!