Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hancocks of Pudacah (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hancocks-pudacah-t124083.html)

Navy Wife 05-18-2011 06:00 PM

I've been to both, along with Iva's and Cherry Pit in Sevierville, and Pappy's in Maryville and Mammaw's in Knoxville.
Hancock's is the winner if you have plenty of time and money. They're not that expensive, but sure do have lots of fabric for you to love. It's huge! Tennessee Quilts has moved to a new building and it's a nice shop, but not any nicer than the others. There's also a new shop in Kingsport.
Mammaws has tons of fabric, a little crowded, but she's rearranged it and it was much better the last time I was there.
Pappy's is great, and 2 miles from me. I love Iva's, Cherry Pit is also great, and they are about a mile or so apart. I shop all of them. Hancock's is on the way to my DD in St. Louis. I have quilty friends in NE TN, and we get together now and then to shop and lunch. The others are about 30 miles away.

RkayD 05-18-2011 06:32 PM

Definitely go! I got to one time and I have to say it was a bit intimidating with all that lovely fabric. My advice...go with a few projects in mind. I have to have an idea of what I want no matter where I go or I don't buy much. I'm so weird.

Karen's Kreations 05-18-2011 06:40 PM

Wonderful experience - GO! You'll have a fine time. They have a great selection of fabrics.

peggymunday 05-18-2011 06:40 PM

I would have to say NO. I wasn't that impressed, especially since I called ahead before traveling an hour and a half (one way) and was quoted the wrong price on batting. It wasn't what I was willing to pay when I arrived. It turned out they quoted me 1/2 yard prices instead of full yard, which makes no sense because the fabrics are sold by the yard, not half yard. They may have a huge selection, but I didn't see anything I couldn't find somewhere else and cheaper. Guess I'm just too much of a bargain shopper. I won't be back. Just my two cents.

GirlieWhirlie 05-19-2011 03:17 AM

I was not really impressed with Hancocks. It was nice but after all the hype I heard, it was a real let down. I wouldn't make it a destination.

Sneed 05-19-2011 06:20 AM

I do agree with Ronna. Having a project in mind is wise, or the amount of fabric can be overwhelming. If you do have a project in mind there should be no problem in filling the order...but different people prefer different things.
They also have a huge selection of books and patterns.
Lots of batiks and lots of Moda...those are my two favorite sections.

verna2197 05-19-2011 08:30 AM

yes I do have a project in mind. Still collecting material to make my DH a Bargello. It is going to be in Greenes

verna2197 05-24-2011 03:42 AM

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am getting ready to leave for this Hancocks. Like I said it is about a 4 hour drive one way so I sure hope it is worth it. I also will be stopping at the Eleanor Burns Quilt In A Day store. I am really excited to be doing this.

Will let everyone know how I found these stores. If it was worth it or not.

Verna2197