Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hancocks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hancocks-t45796.html)

Rachelcb80 05-13-2010 06:22 PM

I have one near me and like another member said, it always looks like a tornado just went through. The staff is less than helpful even though it's the same ladies that have worked there for years. I still shop there on occasion but prefer my LQS or online. Better yet is stopping by LQS's when I'm out of town. I have been to some fabulous stores in the past few months.

CarrieAnne 05-13-2010 06:46 PM

Ours went out of town a few years back!

Dragonfly Nana 05-13-2010 06:56 PM

As previously stated: it depends on the store.
I have lived near three: first one was awesome, the second was horrible, current is in the middle.

I had a treat last weekend as DH took me to the Fabric Hut (1/2 hour away). They carry over 6,000 bolts of quilting fabric!
Yes, the common is in the right place! I needed a tissue for the drool (which they had on the front counter!)

Then DH said "I'll be back in a couple of hours" and handed me $100.00 for early Mother's day from him and the kids.

Heaven!

lfw045 05-13-2010 07:02 PM

Fabric Hut is my absolute favorite fabric store! I am like a kid in a candy shop there and their back wall of $3.88 fabric is always a plus!

pocoellie 05-13-2010 07:51 PM

I'll shop at Hancock's before Joann's if I have a choice. The closest Hancock's is 200 miles away in one direction, Joann's 100 miles in a different direction, needless to say, I don't shop at either a whole lot.

sewnsewer2 05-13-2010 07:54 PM

My hancock is still open, I go there all the time.

Eddie 05-13-2010 08:01 PM

I have a Hancock's and Joann's both here in the metro Little Rock, AR area. I like them both. Clerks at both stores are very nice and helpful. As others have said, you do have to look at and feel the fabric to see if it seems good.

Chasing Hawk 05-13-2010 08:12 PM

I had the privileged of meeting Mr. Hancock in the early 80's. What a nice gentleman. I believe he would be appalled by the way some of his stores are being run.

Our store in Bend, Oregon isn't that bad. Although it could be better. I wouldn't mind a bigger flannel section.

JoAnnGC 05-13-2010 08:20 PM

I love the Hancock Fabrics that's close to where I live in Georgia. Their sales are fantastic and that's usually where I buy really nice fat quarters for 99 cents. Just like shopping in any other store you have to check the quality of the fabric before you purchase it but I haven't been disappointed yet. Their staff is very friendly and helpful.

Cathleen Colson 05-13-2010 08:42 PM

My impression is that Hancock has kept the price low by lowering the quality of the fabric. JoAnn has raised the prices a lot and doesn't match the quality of the local quilt shops. I've been buying at fabric.com and a local discount outlet shop. They have top of the line overruns for $3.99. Crossroads Fabrics in Watsonville, CA.