Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand-dyed Batiks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-dyed-batiks-t247156.html)

amelia0607 05-21-2014 07:03 AM

Hand-dyed Batiks

1 Attachment(s)
I have a friend that is serving in the mission field in Tanzania. He is working with a group of women that hand-dye batik fabrics as a fundraiser for some of their health and children related projects. I have no idea regarding the quality of the fabric and I am NOT trying to sell this fabric to you ladies. He has asked me about pricing for sale in the US. He's thinking about $15 - $20 per 3 meter piece (1 m is approx 1 yard). Shipping is not an issue as he has family that is visiting and will be bring the fabric back. Personally, I think this is very cheap for such fabric but again, I've not seen it personally. I have uploaded a picture of the piece I would love to have.

Any suggestions??

quiltstringz 05-21-2014 07:22 AM

That is really nice. Personally I would go with the higher price - $20 for 3 yds of batik is pretty reasonable. Is there any way you can ask him what the base fabric is? That would give you a better idea for pricing. If you have any other pictures please upload them - I know you aren't trying to sell them but someone may see something they just love.

Jeanne S 05-21-2014 07:26 AM

Sounds like a very reasonable price. But a lot depends upon the quality of the fabric and how it 'feels'. If it is good quality and the fabric has nice artistic design it could probably sell for more, like $30 for 3 meters.

amelia0607 05-21-2014 07:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the other two pieces that he has posted. Not sure if he has more. And will ask about the base fabric. Thanks for your input!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]476320[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]476321[/ATTACH]

feline fanatic 05-21-2014 07:45 AM

Width of the fabric is also a consideration. If the fabric is cotton, of nice quality AND the standard 40 to 44" wide then I would say he could ask for $30 to $35 per 3 miter piece, maybe even more as it is for a very good cause. BUT if the fabric is a narrow width, say only 30" wide then his $15 $20 per 3 miter piece would be in line assuming of course the base fabric is a nice cotton. By the pictures you posted it looks very nice and I too would love to purchase that red with the white swirls.

amelia0607 05-21-2014 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 6725447)
Width of the fabric is also a consideration. If the fabric is cotton, of nice quality AND the standard 40 to 44" wide then I would say he could ask for $30 to $35 per 3 miter piece, maybe even more as it is for a very good cause. BUT if the fabric is a narrow width, say only 30" wide then his $15 $20 per 3 miter piece would be in line assuming of course the base fabric is a nice cotton. By the pictures you posted it looks very nice and I too would love to purchase that red with the white swirls.

Excellent point. I knew you ladies would be able to help out. And sorry, I've already claimed the pretty piece with the swirls. I love that one!!

dunster 05-21-2014 08:52 AM

Hey, I like the blue one! I'm assuming the fabric is cotton, but it might not be. I think the pricing depends on how he intends to sell the fabric. If he wants to sell it wholesale the price would be much less, but it would sell more quickly.

amelia0607 05-21-2014 09:14 AM

He's just posting it on facebook when they have some ready and he has someone visiting to transport it back to the U.S. for shipping. I have asked him about what type of fabric this is but he hasn't responded. Not sure what time it is over there, he often does not have internet and he is often traveling so I'm not sure when he will answer. Seriously doubt if he knows - he'll have to ask the women. Eric is the kind of guy that probably doesn't know there is more than one kind of fabric but I love him anyway - just an overall good person.

amelia0607 05-22-2014 09:09 AM

If any of you are interested in purchasing these, he's going to check inventory and see what he has left. And I will change the post to the seller area.

They are 100% cotton, 40 inches wide and 3 meters long. That's all he can really tell me.

Thanks for your help with the pricing suggestions. He appreciated your input!!

gigigray032447 05-23-2014 05:47 AM

I am very interested but did not see the post in the seller area.