Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Embroidery, how do you secure your threads when starting & finishing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-embroidery-how-do-you-secure-your-threads-when-starting-finishing-t190274.html)

judylg 05-29-2012 03:32 AM

Hand Embroidery, how do you secure your threads when starting & finishing

I tie a knot, but wonder if this will hold up. I am doing it the same way I did years ago, I have not used the pillowcases I did, should dig them out. What is the best way? Thanks.

happyquiltmom 05-29-2012 03:33 AM

I weave my ends into the stitches on the back of the work.

nanna-up-north 05-29-2012 03:38 AM

I start with a knot and end with a couple of knots. I like the idea of weaving the thread back through the stitching. I'll have to try that.

ka9sdn 05-29-2012 03:38 AM

I also tie knots. It makes me feel more secure. Once I have some threads on the back I also weave the current thread thru them as well as the knot. I keep it small but secure.

judylg 05-29-2012 03:42 AM

I forgot to say, after I tie the knot I weave it back and forth a few stitches too. I would have a hard time not tieing a knot. I like to go over each block and check for looser stitches and if I should see, because I have, I weave thread to pull it tighter. By the responses, am doing what most of you are doing. Good

Eva Knight 05-29-2012 01:31 PM

When begining, if using 2 threads, do one thread twice as long as you would use. Fold in half, now 2 threads, leave the loop end the longer one when you start the first stitch. Put the needle through the loop on the back. Thread is caught ,without a knot. If using 3 threads do the same, then add the third thread, leaving the end at the loop a bit long.

faykilgore 05-29-2012 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eva Knight (Post 5251836)
When begining, if using 2 threads, do one thread twice as long as you would use. Fold in half, now 2 threads, leave the loop end the longer one when you start the first stitch. Put the needle through the loop on the back. Thread is caught ,without a knot. If using 3 threads do the same, then add the third thread, leaving the end at the loop a bit long.

I will try this, thanks. I'm doing a redwork right now with lots of "knots."

judylg 05-29-2012 05:07 PM

I see what you are saying about using two strands, I only use the one with the perle thread. Wish there was an easier way, but think I will keep doing what I have been doing. And hope it stays put after washing. Thanks for all of your ideas.

Neesie 05-29-2012 05:17 PM

If I'm embroidering something that will have to withstand wear and tear, like a pillowcase, I make a knot. If it's a picture or something that'll have a backing, I weave the ends into the stitches.

Linda1 05-29-2012 05:22 PM

I do knots. I am always afraid it will come out if I don't. At the end I weave and knot. LOL