Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is hand piecing really becoming extinct? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-piecing-really-becoming-extinct-t66406.html)

campion 09-25-2010 07:42 AM

Mine took me nearly 9 years as it was on the back burner for a good while,but some blocks have been in different parts of the world,my sister took one of the Sisters choice blocks to the US with her when she visited her son.

Sarah CA 09-25-2010 12:29 PM

I am handpiecing my Farmers Wife Quilt (thank you Laurie) and I love it. It is very relaxing and I am doing it while I visit my Mom, who is very ill. It is very soothing. Sarah

Originally Posted by laurieaaron
I recently visited a quilt guild where it was known that I was a hand piecer. I was very surprised when a woman came up to me and said that she was the only one of the group who handpieced, and the guild had almost 200 members! I am not suggesting a poll (that would be crazy!) but from your experience in your guilds, is handpiecing really that rare? I feel like a dinosaur, :) but a happy handpiecing one! Thank you.

denveremerson 09-25-2010 01:01 PM

I know of only one person that hand quilts. Her church holds "quilting bees" for special projects and they are indeed lovely works of art. And it is a wonderful social time together. However, when I have asked several dry cleaners if they would clean/launder a quilt for me, the first ting they ask me is "is it hand or machine quilted?" They don't want the liability, if it should fall apart or be damaged in any way. Machine sewn quilts are certainly more sturdy.

'

denveremerson 09-25-2010 01:02 PM

I know of only one person that hand quilts. Her church holds "quilting bees" for special projects and they are indeed lovely works of art. And it is a wonderful social time together. However, when I have asked several dry cleaners if they would clean/launder a quilt for me, the first ting they ask me is "is it hand or machine quilted?" They don't want the liability, if it should fall apart or be damaged in any way. Machine sewn quilts are certainly more sturdy. Not to mention that I don't like thimbles or sore fingers! :-)

'

vwquilting 09-25-2010 01:20 PM

please explain what a whole cloth is. Thank you

Karo 09-25-2010 01:26 PM

Hand piecer and hand quilter here; just recently decided to try machine piecing; began with a log cabin in all blue colors. It is turning out OK, and I will have it machine quilted by a friend, But, I do like the portability of doing piecing by hand; even take it to work with me!! And there is just something so special about a hand quilted quilt..

vwquilting 09-25-2010 01:29 PM

My great grand mother hand quilted all her quilts both heavy wool and light cotton. In my ignorance we used the cotton ones at the beach year after year not realizing what quilting was all about. They are still in good shape despite my machine washing them over and over again for years. And lots of use.

Patticake 09-25-2010 02:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I hand piece and have been for many years. I'm currently making a king size Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt in memory of my Great Grandmother who hand pieced all of her quilts including the quilt in the last picture here. It seems I always have a couple of quilts, one hand piecing item and usually something small to carry in the car going at once.

I don't think hand piecing will become extinct if we keep sharing how much fun it is and passing the love of quilting on to others. If we do what we love and share it, it cannot help but interest someone. Thank you to all who enjoy quilting on this board and for sharing your love of quilting.

In memory of my Great Grandma
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91172[/ATTACH]

Another view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91173[/ATTACH]

Great Grandma Watson's Quilt given to me
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91174[/ATTACH]

Patticake 09-25-2010 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by vivian bailey
please explain what a whole cloth is. Thank you

A whole cloth quilt is a quilt top made with one piece of cloth. I'm attaching a picture but I did not make this one. I just started a white on white whole cloth quilt for my 2nd daughter's wedding gift.

Whole Cloth Sample
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91952[/ATTACH]

StitchinJoy 09-25-2010 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't think hand piecing is extinct. It is slower and some don't have the time or don't want to tke the time to hand piece something when it could be machine pieced in a fraction of the hours.

I love hand piecing and I love hand quilting. I'm a longarm machine quilter by trade so I spend my days humming along on client quilts with the humongous machine. At the end of the day, I'm tired. I want some quiet handwork that I can do sitting down, and barely moving.

Sooooooooooo, I spend my evenings in my cozy chair quietly hand piecing or hand quilting. It feels organic, natural, soothing, and quiet.

I started this Snowball quilt last September. I completely hand sewed and hand quilted it. I finished it in April.