Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand piecing as strong as machine piecing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-piecing-strong-machine-piecing-t110655.html)

lclang 03-27-2011 08:23 PM

I think once you get the top together and get it layered and quilted the batting and backing would act as partial support and it would be just fine. I have several hand pieced quilts and it's the fabric that's wearing out, but the stitching is okay.

auntiehenno 03-27-2011 11:00 PM

Hand quilting--relaxing.

misseva 03-28-2011 08:42 AM

I agree hand stitching is strong. I have a quilt my grandmother made for me in the mid to late 30s and stitches are fine - fabric is wearing in spots. I'd use quilting thread because it's stronger and doesn't tangle as bad as regular sewing thread.

quilttiludrop 03-28-2011 08:50 AM

The length of the stitches makes a great deal of difference. I historically used a large needle and my stitching would be like basting stiches (I do embroidery work). I am learning to use a smaller needle and make smaller stitches.

Nancy Ingham 03-29-2011 07:53 AM

I hand stitch mine using double thread, taking small stitches and backstitching throughout. I also double stitch at the beginning and ending of every needleful of thread. This is how I was taught in quilting classes better than thirty years ago, and the projects that I did at that time remain in wonderful, like new, condition. It takes a little more time but is sooooooooo worth it. I take my time and find that hand stitching and hand quilting is very relaxing. I want my quilts that I make for loved ones to last a very long time.

missjamee 03-30-2011 04:40 AM

I was once told that it would be preferable to have thread, or seems, that were no stronger than the fabric. As a quilt ages, it is better if the seems come undone, which can be repaired more easily than if the thread cuts the fabric. ;)

Jenny's book is fabulous!

Lyn Watts 03-30-2011 05:03 AM

I don't have a machine so do all my work by hand and not had to mend any seams yet thank goodness

Happy Treadler 03-30-2011 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gabbystabber
Hand piecing is just fine. The reason you back stitch is if the thread should break it will only come apart 2 or 3 threads. I was taught never to start at the beginning of a seam or at the very end because this is the weakest point. I use a single thread. Never had any problems with thread breaking. Fabric will wear out before that will happen. And, I double dare you to rip out a seam. You must remember, after the top is quilted, there is no stress or pulling on your seams. So machine, or hand piecing...do what you prefer and worry not!
Donna

I just read this tip in Jinny's book. I just can't believe how much information I'm taking in, and learning SO much. Thanks for all the great input!

Netta 03-30-2011 07:43 AM

i have a quilt i did all by hand a few years ago and it has held up quite nicely i think it depends on your stitching. i do both but when it comes to quilting it hands only no machine