Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilters! Help please. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilters-help-please-t181222.html)

AshleyR 03-01-2012 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by turner0106 (Post 5021697)
Wow AshleyR. The back side of that quilt looks like it was machine quilted. This is the way I hope my stitches look one day. How long have you been quilting? Thank you for sharing everyone.

Diane

Thank you, Turner. I started quilting about 10 years ago. I quilted for a few months and then stopped until last fall. I probably have a year total under my belt! But before I moved and quit quilting back in 2002, I quilted more than a dozen quilts for other people! I loved doing it and just didn't have room in the house I moved into! Now that we've moved out "to the country", I have enough room for it again! I was very lucky that I was "adopted" into a quilting bee and they showed me how to do this!

lynnie k 03-01-2012 09:36 AM

I use a hoop and a Roxann thimble. They may be a little pricey but the rocking results are much better than using the leather thimble. Practice too don't expect to make small stitches at first the more you sew the smaller they get with time don't give up. I use a large eye #10 John James needle but find one that you really like you will have alot of different needles by the time your done. Hope this helps.:)

judys 03-01-2012 09:43 AM

I can't see where anyone mentioned the batting yet. I think what kind of batting you use would make a difference also. I am just hand quilting my second project so I'm no expert. Just think a pretty thin batting is important for me.

turner0106 03-01-2012 09:49 AM

I'm Using Warm & Natural Cotton Batting. I was told that it was good. I'm using this for my cabin in TN so I wanted a good quality but not heavy in weight.

happyquiltmom 03-01-2012 09:53 AM

Good responses so far.
I agree, it is vital to have your quilt sandwich rather loose in the hoop. I've broken needles before if there isn't enough slack.

I almost always use Hobbs Heirloom batting (80% cotton, 20% polyester.) It's thin enough to quilt easily, but since it is 20% poly, you don't have to quilt extremely close together. Wool is also a joy to quilt, the needle glides though like butter!

I've been quilting for nearly 30 years, and though I am machine quilting a little more lately, my first love is hand quilting.

sharkee 03-01-2012 10:49 AM

Love to Hand Quilt

I have been quilting for about 2 years and I prefer hand quilting to machine quilting. I have a lap hoop for small projects and a frame for larger projects. I use a roxanne thimble and my stitches are also better on the top than they are on the bottom but they are getting better. I usually use Quilters Dream Select batting but on the one that I am doing now I am using Quilters Dream wool batting because I was told it is easier to quilt and since my fabrics are batiks the lady that taught me to hand quilt thought it would be easier to start

It will get easier the more you practice

margee 03-01-2012 12:29 PM

I've just learned handquilting. Sometimes my stitches on top & bottom look the same and other times the bottom isn't as nice. Also, I can usually tell as I'm going from the top thru the batting and bottom layers because it has a different "feel" to it. Then other times esp. if I'm tired I have to always look for awhile to see if stitch is thru. I also like the Hobbs Heirloom batting for handquilting. Keep at it. It does get better. I find it so relaxing.

faykilgore 03-01-2012 01:41 PM

Ashley R you are an inspiration. Gorgeous work!

Kyiav10 03-01-2012 08:27 PM

pics

3 Attachment(s)
My stitches on the back are smaller. See if these pics can post.

AshleyR 03-02-2012 02:49 AM

You're very kind and made my morning!!! :)

Originally Posted by faykilgore (Post 5022553)
Ashley R you are an inspiration. Gorgeous work!