Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilters-t45124.html)

Borntohandquilt 05-07-2010 04:07 AM

Hinterland, that sounds wonderful... but I must say I have tried so many times to quilt in different directions with different thimbles and methods and my stiches were not so even I like to have them. Therefore I better quilt just in one direction - towards my body - and I have what I want. I need to turn my quilting hoop and I quilt every day in the year. Fortunately we don't have so many days in summer with big heat...

sewjoyce 05-07-2010 04:19 AM

My greatest love for hand quilting is the wholecloth quilt!! You can do so many beautiful things with just a solid piece of fabric. However, I have hand quilted other things as well (wall hangings and baby quilts). I started out hand quilting wall hanging "cheaters". Even if I messed up, they still looked half way decent :lol: :lol:

Does anyone out there ever "un-sew" their hand quilting stitches?? I do this quite a bit and wondered if I was the only one who spends some days taking out more than I put in.....

Borntohandquilt 05-07-2010 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce
Does anyone out there ever "un-sew" their hand quilting stitches?? I do this quite a bit and wondered if I was the only one who spends some days taking out more than I put in.....

Of course I do. Some days it seems that I have forgotten how to quilt and it takes me quilte a long time after starting to find my rhythm. We all have good and bad days.

JRSAY 05-07-2010 04:31 AM

I did one when was temp unemployed. Helped time pass and keep me inspired. This was just (kit) I was told. Added some extr sttiches, each row was about 1/2 inch apart. Did on a antique floor frame, this kept back nice & flat.
good luck.

CarrieAnne 05-07-2010 04:44 AM

I have not done any, but I think they are beautiful! I havent tried it because I figured it would be more expensive because I would have to buy top, and bottom...instead of using scraps, if that makes sense, LOL!

Hinterland 05-07-2010 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by sewjoyce

Oh yeah...I unsewed 10 inches of border quilting once. Luckily it unsewed faster than it went in. :)

sewingladydi 05-07-2010 02:32 PM

I haven't done a whole cloth yet,but I have one with the design stamped on it. I use a lap hoop. I have a hoop on a stand, but I've not gotten used to it yet.

Pamela Artman 05-07-2010 02:48 PM

I have made one wholecloth baby quilt and I did it with shadow trapunto. I really love it. I bought the top on sale at an amish auction for $5. I also bought another top the same size, but not a baby design that was marked by amish women. I also have a full size wholecloth top that I bought in an amish quilt shop that was about half the price of others that I've seen but is not as detailed as some. Then I have a throw size "kit" that I bought that is very detailed. I'm anxious to quilt these, but they're not at the top of my to do list. I used to quilt in a hoop on a stand, or a smaller hoop in my lap, but most of the time now, I quilt without a hoop, just on my lap. It takes some practice to keep the back smooth, and it takes a lot of pins, but I like not having that big hoop that gets in the way of the TV! LOL