Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilters - When do you quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilters-when-do-you-quilt-t80293.html)

grammyjo 12-03-2010 05:47 AM

I'm a hand quilter and love it. But for some reason, I only quilt in the evening, while watching TV. Quilting in the daytime makes me feel guilty, like I should be doing some "housework" thing. I do piecing, cutting and all the rest during the day and that feels OK. But sitting, relaxing and quilting (just like reading a book), only happens in the evening. So I'm anxious to know when you quilt.

raptureready 12-03-2010 05:51 AM

I don't do guilt.

Perhaps it's because it's because it's something that you look forward to doing when you can relax. There's nothing wrong with quilting during evening hours. I quilt, sew, read, watch tv pretty much whenever I want to.

Hinterland 12-03-2010 05:57 AM

I don't have much choice - I work all day so I quilt in the evening.

But, I will quilt during the day on the weekends and days off. I like to get my housework done early so I can spend the time after lunch any way I want. Besides, my husband has no qualms about spending his spare time watching football, baseball, golf, hockey or whatever sports happens to be on tv.

TeriD 12-03-2010 06:03 AM

Like you, I usually quilt in the evenings in front of the tv. I work during the day all week, so week nights it's nice to just relax with a project. On weekends, though, I also tend to feel a little guilty if I am quilting instead of doing something more practical like housework. I fight the feeling and sometimes manage to do some quilting on a Saturday or Sunday. Why shouldn't I be able to spend some time doing something that I enjoy so much?

Jory 12-03-2010 06:09 AM

I hand quilt in the evenings, while watching TV or a Netflix movie. I work during the day, so that is not an option. On weekends, I'm like you: I can't hand quilt in the daytime because there are so many other things to do!

Jory

joan_quilts 12-03-2010 06:11 AM

I feel the same as you. I don't usually sit down to stitch until the housework is done or I feel guilty. Usually in the evenings is when I quilt.

barbsmith 12-03-2010 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by grammyjo
I'm a hand quilter and love it. But for some reason, I only quilt in the evening, while watching TV. Quilting in the daytime makes me feel guilty, like I should be doing some "housework" thing. I do piecing, cutting and all the rest during the day and that feels OK. But sitting, relaxing and quilting (just like reading a book), only happens in the evening. So I'm anxious to know when you quilt.

I am the very same, grammyjo. I only quilt in the evening while watching TV. If I do it during the day I feel guilty because I enjoy it so much. Same way with reading a book. You would think after raising four children and spending 37 years in the workplace (I'm now retired) that I shouldn't feel guilty doing something I enjoy whenever I want to do it.

QazyQltr 12-03-2010 06:29 AM

I do hand work in the evenings since I'm not too interested in watching the programs on TV & it is relaxing.

feline fanatic 12-03-2010 09:10 AM

Like so many others who have responded, 99% of my hand quilting is done in the evenings while watching TV. I work full time during the week. On weekends, during the day, I like to spend the days peicing or machine quilting. However, if the mood strikes me I will not hesitate to pick up my hoop and hand quilt in the day, but it just never seems to happen that way.

amandasgramma 12-03-2010 09:13 AM

I have a friend that handquilts.....and does it all day long. She and I have the same feelings on this ---- we DESERVE to do what we want -- we're retired. We raised kids and worked.....by golly, now it's ME time. As for housework....I spend 1-2 hours daily in taking care of the house - the rest of the hours are mine.....good thing it's a SMALL house!! :)