Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand quiltin thread.do you have a favorite. And why (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quiltin-thread-do-you-have-favorite-why-t290569.html)

Sandygirl 08-19-2017 04:29 AM

hand quiltin thread.do you have a favorite. And why

Looking for advice. Thanks
sandy

SusieQOH 08-19-2017 04:43 AM

Good question. I learned to hand quilt in the 80's and did so exclusively until recently. I always used Coats and Clark. I'd like to hear from others.
I had great luck with it but I don't know of any other. I usually hand quilt in the winter it seems. I find it very relaxing. (and cozy)

NJ Quilter 08-19-2017 04:54 AM

I don't buy online so that kind of limits my choices. But...out of the 3 brands that I have locally available - Coats & Clark; Gutermann; Americana (JoAnns brand) - my preferences would be 1-Gutermann; 2-Americana; 3-C&C.

Gutermann has, in my opinion, the greatest color choice. If you want to blend to your fabric or be very contrasting they have the best variety. I actually like the heavier weight of the Americana brand but there are not many color choices and because of it's weight, makes it difficult to use the #11 Roxanne needles I prefer. C&C is certainly a known quantity and I have no issues with it. It's perfectly fine, just not my 'go to' but I do use it regularly if it's the only choice for the color I want for a particular project.

Tartan 08-19-2017 05:50 AM

Gutermann is my favourite. It seems less likely to break and is less linty then Coats and Clark.

Boston1954 08-19-2017 05:58 AM

I like Dual Duty by Coats and Clarks.

thimblebug6000 08-19-2017 07:01 AM

Had to check and it appears I like the Mettler 40/3 the best.... I do have a few others in the drawer and I do have beeswax to run the thread through if I find it tangles too much.

My friend loves the YLI (I think those are the initials) but I find it kind of wiry/springy.

Kitsie 08-19-2017 07:33 AM

I use same Gutermanns as I do for piecing. For applique I use Invisifil.

elnan 08-19-2017 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 7890109)
Looking for advice. Thanks
sandy

A lady who is well known in our area for her hand quilting has taught classes in quiltmaking, suggests the YLI as her favorite and mentioned by Thimblebug in post #6.

tessagin 08-19-2017 08:04 AM

My go to is C&C double duty. I use it for everything except embroidery.

Sync 08-19-2017 10:59 AM

Sandygirl, good question. I have been hand quilting since the mid 80's and have used numerous types of hand quilting thread. Mettler and Gutermann were my threads of choice when I first started quilting. I use these threads mainly because they were the only ones the local stores carried. In the last 10 years I have switched to using King Tut and YLI thread. I like those threads because I can get the colors I want to use, plus the fact that they offer variegated threads. I also like the fact that I don't have any problems with the thread shredding at the eye of my needle.