Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting bonus (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-bonus-t214489.html)

Ranchwife 02-21-2013 07:38 PM

Hand quilting bonus

Maybe it is just me, but one of the best parts of hand quilting is being able to sit in my chair, watch TV, cover my legs with the quilt and getting warm on a cold winter evening while I'm working on the actual quilt. With machine quilting, there isn't that coziness factor - sweat factor trying to manipulate the quilt, maybe, but not coziness. Yep, snuggling under the quilt while quilting on it is definitely a good thing! :)

NikkiLu 02-21-2013 08:06 PM

I feel the same way when crocheting a baby afghan - only do it in the wintertime.

Ranchwife 02-21-2013 08:22 PM

Crocheting afghans is also comforting and cozy.

mighty 02-21-2013 08:44 PM

Yes,I agree Crocheting afgans is wonderful in the winter! And I love to sew the binding to the back of the quilt in the winter!

Mamaskeeto 02-21-2013 08:45 PM

That's why I like to hand bind my quilts.

janedee 02-21-2013 11:32 PM

I'm with you on that Ranchwife - nothing better than being creative whilst sat in comfort - I do all my quilting by hand, it may take much much longer than on the machine but it gives me much more satisfaction

DOTTYMO 02-21-2013 11:51 PM

Ladies, instead of quilting the quilt in one go. Divide it up into sections. I like quarters for a double, king or queen sizes.
Split and treat as you would for quilt as you go with or with out sashing. The back seam I always so by hand ie nice and warm.
Again I love working under a cozy quilt as I sew, and this method does allow for it.

ckcowl 02-22-2013 03:43 AM

that's what i love about binding too...having the quilt draped over my lap, enjoying the final step to a finished project enjoying the coziness & beauty of it one last time before it goes where ever it is going. ranks right up there with knitting/crocheting in your favorite chair. :)

mpspeedy2 02-22-2013 04:11 AM

I spend countless hours handquilting while watching TV or sharing time with friends etc. etc. It is a lot easier for me than dragging a quilt around under my sewing machine having to constantly fold or roll all of that weight to get it in the right place etc. I would be willing to bet that I have completed and quilted more quilts than most other women using a machine. The steps that lead up to getting the quilt on my hoop or frame are the most stressful for me. I have seen fantastic quilting done on a longarm but to me it would be like sewing in a factory.

NJ Quilter 02-22-2013 04:28 AM

That is one of the things that attracted me to quilting in the first place. I mostly machine piece and hand quilt. I love doing handwork and I love sewing. This marries the two nicely for me. I can piece while DH is out of my hair and not distracting me and can quilt while he and I are spending time together in the evenings. A win-win for me.