Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilting Book? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-book-t89784.html)

tmg 01-12-2011 05:15 AM

What would be a good book to get to learn to hand quilt? I am wanting to give it a try but I don't have anyone to teach me so I have to learn from books.

Thanks

Hinterland 01-12-2011 05:19 AM

I learned from books. I like "That Perfect Stitch" by Roxanne McElroy. Ami Simms also has a good book on it, and Rodale Press has a very comprehensive book.

But, you could probably search You Tube and find videos to show you how, too.

harryb1834 01-12-2011 05:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Hinterland
I learned from books. I like "That Perfect Stitch" by Roxanne McElroy. Ami Simms also has a good book on it, and Rodale Press has a very comprehensive book.

But, you could probably search You Tube and find videos to show you how, too.

Borntohandquilt 01-12-2011 06:15 AM

My favourite book is "The Essential Quilter" by Barbara Chainey. I also like Roxanne McElroy's book (great information about fabric, battings, threads etc.!).
You can also look for "Fine Hand Quilting" by Diana Leone & Cindy Walter or "Winning Stitches" by Elsie M. Campbell.

feline fanatic 01-12-2011 06:56 AM

I also have The Essential Quilter and love this book. Lots of great pictures and ideas as well as patterns for quilting designs.

I am self taught as well but did not find books of much use to me because I do not quilt like all the books instruct. I use my index fingernail and thumb fingernail to push the needle through. Practice doing it is what helped me more then anything.

honeybee_2000 01-12-2011 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by tmg
What would be a good book to get to learn to hand quilt? I am wanting to give it a try but I don't have anyone to teach me so I have to learn from books.

Thanks

I use one book called "The Quilting Answer Book" by Barbara Weiland Talbert that I got off of ebay. Its been great since I didnt have a clue where to start and nobody to really ask.

honeybee_2000 01-12-2011 07:11 AM

I dont even use a quilting frame or thimble..I use the top of my dining room table with roll up clips to keep the quilt neat and tidy while I work

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
I also have The Essential Quilter and love this book. Lots of great pictures and ideas as well as patterns for quilting designs.

I am self taught as well but did not find books of much use to me because I do not quilt like all the books instruct. I use my index fingernail and thumb fingernail to push the needle through. Practice doing it is what helped me more then anything.

mberhard 01-12-2011 07:31 AM

I too learned from an Ammi Simms book. I read several books and hers was by far the easiest to follow.

Holice 01-12-2011 07:41 AM

"How to Learn to Hand Quilt in a Day" (and practice for the rest of your life) by Nancy Brenan-Daniels.