Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand quilting or machine quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-machine-quilting-t224743.html)

MarlaMars 06-28-2013 05:33 PM

hand quilting or machine quilting

While at an estate sale I found and purchased a Dresden Plate quilt top. I do not know who made it and I was unable to gather any information on the quilter. The Dresden Plates have been hand sewn onto a muslin top. I would like to finish this quilt but my quilting circle of friends are split on whether it should be hand quilted or machine quilted. Other than binding I have not hand quilted anything. I guess I am looking for advice and opinions before I make my decision. I appreciate any help, advice or thoughts on this subject. Thank You

bearisgray 06-28-2013 05:42 PM

It is yours to do with as you wish.

If the piecing is nicely done and the applque work is also nice.
, my vote is for hand quilting.

AZ Jane 06-28-2013 06:01 PM

I would do whichever you do the best at. If you are better and more comfortable machine quilting, that is the way to go. Even if hand quilting would be world's better, why torture yourself??

Prism99 06-28-2013 07:00 PM

It would have to be a really outstanding treasure for me to hand quilt it, even if it was hand appliqued. Could you post a photo?

coopah 06-28-2013 07:39 PM

Do whatever you like best, because then it will get finished. But if it has been done by hand so far, that would be my preference. Can you tell if the fabric is old? I'm just wondering how it would hold up with machine quilting. Just thinking...it will be beautiful no matter which way you finish it. :-)

Pat625 06-28-2013 07:43 PM

My preference would be to hand quilt, but YOU need to do whatever makes YOU happy in working on it!

Tartan 06-28-2013 07:44 PM

I like to hand quilt but love the speed of machine quilting. Do whichever method that will give you the finished quilt to enjoy. It didn't do the original quilter any good to have the top put away in drawer so quilt it up to use.

DOTTYMO 06-28-2013 10:08 PM

If you are after speed machine quilt. If you are following the way it was started hand quilt. I have heard on this site people who leave hand quilting until the weather is cold as the quilt keeps you warm.
May we see a picture ?

Jingle 06-28-2013 10:44 PM

I am making a Dresden plate quilt and machine quilting it. I stopped hand quilting about 11 or 12 years ago. I would not go backwards. Hand quilting can be beautiful and I appreciate all the work. Just not for me anymore.

ckcowl 06-29-2013 01:24 AM

I've made a number of fabulous hand appliqued quilts---machine quilted them--and sold them for a lot of $$...I've made a few small quilts and hand quilted them- for me I do what I want at the moment---and size matters- I am willing to hand quilt a small project on occasion- but when it comes to large quilts I machine quilt them because I am WAY too impatient to spend a year or more quilting a quilt...when I could have a couple dozen done in the same time. either way is fine- do what you want- it's yours...and machine quilting does not take away from the quality of the quilt (even if there are still people out there who feel differently- both techniques are acceptable)