Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   hand quilting near the edge?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-near-edge-t221797.html)

IQ2 05-19-2013 06:28 AM

hand quilting near the edge??

I'm new to hand quilting, took a class where we were instructed to use a hoop (which I love). I'm doing individual swirl designs inside each separate block. I'm now up to the ones at the edges of the quilt, so only half of the hoop gets filled. Is the hoop still used for this? Are there any special tips for working the edges in a hoop?

nhweaver 05-19-2013 06:31 AM

There are half hoops for this. but I attach some additional fabric to the ends of my work piece so that it fits in the hoop.

Nammie to 7 05-19-2013 07:52 AM

I've attached additional fabric to the edges also. Good luck with your project.

Kat Sews 05-19-2013 07:52 AM

At the very edge I switch to an embroidery hoop.

lynnie 05-19-2013 07:56 AM

Iwi ng it freehand, no hoop, never had a problem

Daffy Daphne 05-19-2013 08:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Years ago a quilting magazine had instructions for making what I believe they called a hoop sleeve, to aid in quilting near the edge. Several of us in the quilt guild made one. I used mine constantly while I was still able to hand quilt. It covers about a third of your quilting hoop, and you pin the edge of your project to it. These pics are probably sufficiently self-explanatory, but if you're interested and need more information just let me know.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]414391[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]414393[/ATTACH]

(The rectangular stitching you see in the first pic is velcro sewn on the wrong side.)

IQ2 05-19-2013 09:10 AM

Thank you all so much for your wonderful tips! I knew just where to come for help.
I really appreciate this board so much. Hope I can pay it sufficiently forward. :)

isewman 05-19-2013 09:57 AM

Here is what I'm doing. I have a GFGarden, I'm working on, with the odd shape outer edges. I've sewed 2 pieces of fabric. To the backing, and to the top, of the quilt. My material width is 6-7". I catch the top, and the backing, and the 2 pieces, I've sewed and I can still continue with my hand quilting. Hope I explained this right

thimblebug6000 05-19-2013 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne (Post 6072982)
Years ago a quilting magazine had instructions for making what I believe they called a hoop sleeve, to aid in quilting near the edge. Several of us in the quilt guild made one. I used mine constantly while I was still able to hand quilt. It covers about a third of your quilting hoop, and you pin the edge of your project to it. These pics are probably sufficiently self-explanatory, but if you're interested and need more information just let me know.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]414391[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]414393[/ATTACH]

(The rectangular stitching you see in the first pic is velcro sewn on the wrong side.)

Yes, this is what I used when using a round hoop. I have now switched to the pvc square/rectangles and don't find I need it. I just put the sandwich in, and let it fill 1/2 the space and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

IQ2 05-19-2013 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 (Post 6073151)
I have now switched to the pvc square/rectangles and don't find I need it.

what's the pvc square/rectangle?