Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand quilting novice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-novice-t253037.html)

Lareynadenada 09-04-2014 10:00 AM

Hand quilting novice

I tried the search but couldn't find a thread about hand quilting. After finding out how very expensive it is to have a quilt machine quilted I have started trying to teach myself hand quilting. I am starting on a queen size but am only doing around the appliqués and each square, (you can't really see the quilting)
so far this is exasperating!!! I have manage to finally make my stitches fairly small, now working on making them evenly spaced and the same size.. I need to find a thimble that works for me, I have tried three so far. I am having some trouble understanding how to END a thread and I am worried about the whole thing falling apart down the road. Wow! I have a great appreciation for all of you who have mastered this!!

mermaid 09-04-2014 10:15 AM

Http://www.pieceocake.com/ has info for ending knot, and lots more for the quilter. Easier for you to go to site than me try to explain ( I can't use my hands to show you-- haha). Hang in there...I love to hand quilt-- it is when I solve all the world's problems with my private thoughts. Good luck!

tessagin 09-04-2014 10:22 AM

Go to Youtube! Alex Andersen and there's a gal on youTube I believe they call the quiltlady. She's oriental but you'll see her. All kinds of information on handquilting.

Tartan 09-04-2014 10:27 AM

Quilting is what holds 3 layers together to make a quilt. There are many ways to accomplish this. There is hand quilting "rocking stitch", "stab stitch", "big stitch" to name a few. Hand quilting just takes practice and find a thimble you like.
A quilt can be tied or tacked with yarn or thread at intervals to hold the layers as long as the intervals meet the batting quilting requirements.
There is machine quilting you do yourself on your sewing machine in straight lines with a walking foot. There is machine free motion quilting using a darning or free motion foot on your machine.

NJ Quilter 09-04-2014 10:30 AM

Hand quilting can be very relaxing. Like mermaid says - you can solve all the world's problems then!

You are on the right track with getting your stitches evenly spaced...far more important than their size...that will come with time. And each time you pick up your work it will take a few minutes to get back in the rhythm. Some folks keep a scrap sandwich to get their rhythm going before starting their quilt each time (not me, I just go with the flow).

To end your thread, make a knot in the thread a couple of inches away from your quilt. I do this by wrapping the thread around the needle a couple of times and then pull the needle through the loop that is made. Then, take your needle and place between your top and the batting, next to where you quilted your last stitch, and bring the needle up far enough away from where you inserted it so that the knot will be hidden. Pull the knot through the top/batting. This will take a bit of a tug. You will hear/see the 'pop' made. Pull the thread a bit more (scrunching up your work) so you can clip the thread close to your quilt top. This will hide the loose end under your top and keep the knot hidden. If that makes no sense to you, try looking on youtube for videos of 'burying a quilting knot' or similar terms.

As to thimbles...there are a gazillion choices. I use Thimblelady thimbles. They are cone-shaped and open ended. They are designed to push the needle with the pad of your finger vs the top. I find it much more comfortable to quilt that way. Much easier on the finger/hand. Roxanne thimbles are designed to be used similarly but are far more expensive. Thimblelady has plastic ones at very reasonable prices (under $20 I think) if you wanted to try one without spending a fortune. I found their sizing instructions to be very accurate as well. I now use a stainless steel one. Again, much more reasonably priced than Roxanne thimbles. Although the Roxanne's are beautiful. Those I would have fitted in person.

There are numerous thread here on the board regarding hand quilting. If you put that term in the search function, you should be able to find lots. But we're all here to answer questions any time as well.

Prism99 09-04-2014 10:31 AM

Are you using a hoop? I find it easier to quilt with a lap hoop, as it helps my stitches be more even than if I try to quilt without a hoop. If using a hoop, a common beginner mistake is to hoop the quilt drum tight. You want about a fist-size "give" in the center of the hoop to allow you to manipulate the quilt sandwich as well as the needle.

There are Youtube videos on how to make a quilter's knot, and also how to knot and "pop" the knot into the sandwich at the end of a line of quilting. Just do a search on "quilter's knot", "hand quilting", etc. at the Youtube website.

Sisty88 09-04-2014 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6874227)
Go to Youtube! Alex Andersen and there's a gal on youTube I believe they call the quiltlady. She's oriental but you'll see her. All kinds of information on handquilting.

Is it thimblelady? I use her thimble and love it! I couldn't get to grips with any of the other thimbles I tried (there were lots of them!) and as soon as I tried hers I was hooked! They have lovely deep holes to hold the needle. I worked through her book (hand quilting without pain I think it's called) and my stitches were small and even. I was amazed! My second ever quilt is quite hilarious, I did the entire middle section before I got the thimble and then I did the border after I got the thimble. The middle is full of big wobbly stitches, and the border is lovely even stitches. I kept it that way though, to show how much I'd progressed!
Keep at it, it will suddenly click one day and become easy breezy!

CurliQ 09-04-2014 10:42 AM

I hand quilt without a hoop. I find I can't maneuver that needle like others do and it gives me more freedom to move the fabric and the needle to get those perfect stitches. The only thimble I have found that fits my finger is a leather thimble.

It can be very relaxing but remember that it's supposed to be and also be fun. Don't be too hard on yourself. It just takes a lot of practice.

barny 09-04-2014 10:47 AM

By the time you get this quilt finished, you'll be astonished at how much better quilter you are. So just keep going, get a good fitting leather thimble and stay at it.

feline fanatic 09-04-2014 10:52 AM

Keep at it, it will all come together for you. As far as thimbles, there are many hand quilters who don't use one at all! I prefer to push the needle through with my fingernail. One of the most phenomenal hand quilters we ever had on the board, Andrea (borntohandquilt) never used one either and she did it one stitch at a time.