Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilting Paper Piecing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-paper-piecing-t192404.html)

MommaDorian 06-21-2012 12:40 PM

Hand Quilting Paper Piecing

1 Attachment(s)
I've been getting a lot of advice here about hand quilting. This is my first project. I'm struggling with the pattern I've chosen, stitching 1/4" from the seams. It's just not right. At first I thought it was just me, but I'm thinking I need to try a different stitch pattern. What else is there? Here is a picture of the quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]343707[/ATTACH]

EvelynJ 06-21-2012 12:44 PM

Dorian, dear, your quilt top is awesome! I do not see any problems, I see beauty and love radiating. What exactly are you trying to do?

MommaDorian 06-21-2012 12:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by EvelynJ (Post 5306456)
Dorian, dear, your quilt top is awesome! I do not see any problems, I see beauty and love radiating. What exactly are you trying to do?

Thank you, Evelyn. You're very kind. I'm trying to hand quilt it. This is my first attempt. So far, I've stitched 1/4" from the seams, but it doesn't look right. The first time, I used black thread. That was bad, so I changed it to off white. I didn't like that either. Here is a picture of both attempts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]343723[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]343724[/ATTACH]

ckcowl 06-21-2012 12:57 PM

try a medium gray that will blend/disappear more over the colors- when hand quilting you want the stitches to be as even as possible - same distance between each one- about the same distance as the stitch itself- it does take some practice- small even stitches top & bottom- you may want to put together a small practice piece (maybe a 12" square & draw some lines to follow on it- and do some practicing before continuing on your beautiful quilt. a couple squares of muslin with some batting in between is ideal for practicing. once you get more of a (rhythm) to your quilting -with small even stitches i think you will be happier with what you are doing on your quilt- i think the pattern you are doing and a light thread will look very nice- once you get the hang of it.

mom-6 06-21-2012 12:59 PM

I'm not seeing what it is that you don't like about the second picture. I like it much better than the first. And your stitches are getting smaller and more even too.
Are you going to change to the black when you get on the black fabric?

kathy 06-21-2012 01:06 PM

with hand quilting it's easy to use matching threads so it blends better or as suggested a med. neutral will blend with most of your colors, if you pressed your seams to one side, that side will be difficult to stitch, maybe do only one stitch at a time in that area to get them more even. and as with every talent, it takes lots of practice. hang in there

MommaDorian 06-21-2012 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 (Post 5306489)
I'm not seeing what it is that you don't like about the second picture. I like it much better than the first. And your stitches are getting smaller and more even too.
Are you going to change to the black when you get on the black fabric?

The 2nd picture is better than the first, because the thread is lighter, but it still isn't what I hoped it would be. Am I being to hard on myself?

Krisb 06-21-2012 03:43 PM

You are being way too hard on yourself. It must takes practice.

auntpiggylpn 06-21-2012 05:06 PM

I am getting ready to embark on my first hand quilting adventure. I did some research on line and I wound up purchasing a product called "Tiger Tape" It comes in different widths and has lines marked on it to help keep your stitches the same length.

http://www.createforless.com/Old+Mad...utm_medium=cse

LyndaOH 06-21-2012 07:16 PM

Tiger Tape also helps you keep an even distance from the seam. I find marking is really important in hand quilting, even when you're quilting 1/4" from the seam. It's easy to drift.

You are being too hard on yourself, but as was suggested I would start on something smaller.