Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hand Quilting Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hand-quilting-question-t75083.html)

sharkee 11-08-2010 09:15 AM

I am new to quilting and have found that I love to hand quilt, it seems very relaxing and it seems to be a lost art. I am had quilting a throw sized log cabin and is all I have left is the borders.
My question is: Is it possible to hand quilt batiks? I seem to always gravitate to that part of the quilt shop when looking at fabrics and when I took a hand quilting class the teacher says you cannot hand quilt batiks but I have read a few places that it is possible the stitches might just be a little bigger.
Thanks in advance for all your responses

Hinterland 11-08-2010 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by sharkee
when I took a hand quilting class the teacher says you cannot hand quilt batiks

I love hand quilting batiks, and they've never given me any trouble. The stitches look so much nicer on them. I think you'll have more trouble with all the seams in a log cabin block than you will with the batiks.

It helps to keep the top loose in the hoop, and I wouldn't put batik on the back, but otherwise, go ahead and use the fabric you like.

sueisallaboutquilts 11-08-2010 09:23 AM

Sharkee, I also love hand quilting. Haven't tried in on batiks yet but probably will. I'm also learning to machine quilt, something I never thought I would do but I became interested. But I'll always hand quilt b/c for me it's very relaxing.

quilt addict 11-08-2010 09:26 AM

I also hand quilt but have not tried batiks. I have heard that it is difficult because of the density of the fabric or how tightly it is woven. But if you want to do it, go ahead. I agree that it couldn't be much harder then all those seams.

kathy 11-08-2010 09:45 AM

to me it's more "work" hand sewing with batiks, I've used some in applique and have decided to not use them very often as it is not as pleasing as with cotton. you can always get a fat or 2 and make something small to try it out on and make up your own mind.

StitchinJoy 11-08-2010 10:00 AM

I find batiks difficult to needle by hand. I have arthritis and the waxy residue in the batiks is just resistant enough to make me have to grip the needle more tightly. Oweeeee. I just finished a client quilt with batik backing and binding, and my hands ache from stitching through those fabrics.

ckcowl 11-08-2010 10:11 AM

i agree, i have had no problems quilting or hand piecing batiks. use a new sharp needle and quilt away, they are just as wonderful as any quilting cotton! just because someone had a problem sticking a dull needle through a batik they have really been getting a bad rap..the only fabric i have ever had a problem hand stitching was a 100% polyester...had to use pliars to pull the needle through, but i've never had problems with batiks. i am currently making a cathedral windows with a white on white and batiks.

Hinterland 11-08-2010 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
just because someone had a problem sticking a dull needle through a batik they have really been getting a bad rap.

Or, we both have really strong hands. Don't mess with us! LOL

ann clare 11-08-2010 11:55 AM

I love hand quilting batiks. Have not had a problem with them.

sewcrafty 11-08-2010 12:09 PM

To help you out with batiks. Check out the John James Gold n Glide betweens. They work on batiks beautifully!!!